Shape Up Shoes?

Lounge By jonahsmom Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 1:34pm by SuzyNoQ

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 22

Have any of you tried those shape up shoes that have the rounded sole at the bottom (supposed to improve your posture and force you to use proper body mechanics when walking)? They are supposed to help tone your butt, legs, and work your abs a little more because you're using the proper muscles when you walk.

It takes me only about 15 mins to walk to work at a pretty good pace, so I thought I'd walk to and from work every day. Between before and after work, and my hour lunch break I can get in a full hour of walking. This might help me get motivated so that when winter comes (and rainy, icky weather) I may just feel like going to the gym!!!

I wanted to try these shoes, but didn't know anyone that has tried them so I thought I'd ask y'all! Payless Shoes makes a shoe similar to the Sketchers that are much, much cheaper.

What are your thoughts? (Thanks!)

21 replies
butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 22

I have the Sketcher Shape-ups. It takes a little getting used to but once you do, they are really comfortable. You walk in them a little differently than you do regular tennis shoes. It kinda feels like walking on sand. The first couple of times I wore them, my calves were very sore. Matter of fact, my back even felt a bit sore. But after a few times of wearing them, all that goes away. I would recommend them.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 22

A local tv channel did a report on those shoes-three different brands. I paid close attention because I was thinking about buying some.

They did the study in conjunction with the University of Louisville's sports medicine program. They hooked two newscasters up to machines to measure muscle activity while they walked on treadmills. They exercised in their own regular athletic shoes and then in the new shoes. According to the study, the only muscles that worked any differently were the muscles in the back of the leg-they were stretched more. All of the other muscles got pretty much the exact same workout with the old style athletic shoes and the new rounded sole shoes.

They concurred that they were no more beneficial than regular shoes.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 22

I have two pair, wear them EVERYDAY. The only reason I like them is because they make me nearly two inches taller. There is no other quanitfiable benefit in my personal experience. But, it was MORE than worth the price to make me taller! thumbs_up.gif

Mommyofseven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommyofseven Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 10:47pm
post #5 of 22

I love my skecher shape ups. As a fibromyaliga suffer they have been great for my back and my hips. And I did notice a difference in the backs of my legs when I first started wearing them.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 22

Hi,
I have the Sketcher Shape Ups too and love them. I wear them when I work all the time and find it really helps my back/leg pain from standing up all day. I've never spent $100 on a pair of shoes but I do believe they are worth it!

KimAZ

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:10pm
post #7 of 22

I tried some on in the store. I felt like Mario! Ready to bound up to that next level! lol I tried walking down the aisle at DSW and couldn't help but giggle.

butternut Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:12pm
post #8 of 22

The very first time I tried to walk in mind, I almost toppled over. icon_lol.gif

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 6:27pm
post #9 of 22

How is the arch support? I currently wear Merrells because they have great support built in. I am nearly flat-footed and I have bunions, so anything with roomy toes and great arch support would be wonderful. icon_smile.gif

Although, I'm not sure I can talk hubby in to the price tag. Might have to wait a bit when they come down in price.

Melvira Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 6:57pm
post #10 of 22

They're really great for toe room, though some people say they run small. Like you may need a 7.5 instead of a 7, so just be sure to try the next size up. If you guys sign up for Famous Footwears free preferred buyer club or whatever it's called you will get some wicked awesome coupons. I ended up paying $120 for two pair. It was almost like getting one free! thumbs_up.gif I like 'free'!

butternut Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 7:15pm
post #11 of 22

Wow Melvira, you got a steal. I paid 129.00 for one pair but that was shortly after they came out.

Jade - I am somewhat flat footed and the arch support in the shape - ups have been great.

emrldsky Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 7:32pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by butternut

Wow Melvira, you got a steal. I paid 129.00 for one pair but that was shortly after they came out.

Jade - I am somewhat flat footed and the arch support in the shape - ups have been great.

Melvira,

That's great to hear! I've had Sketcher's shoes in the past and they usually fit me great, so I was hoping that would continue with these.

Margie,

Glad to hear it! I just find most shoes to be uncomfortable, so I might talk to the hubs about these.

Thanks!!

jqorso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jqorso Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 5:35am
post #13 of 22

My sister has them and likes the arch support. However, I'm skeptical about the shaping up they do. I mean won't you lose weight if you are walking around more? Is it the shoes or that fact you are walking more to get the shoes to work? icon_confused.gif

emrldsky Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:05pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jqorso

My sister has them and likes the arch support. However, I'm skeptical about the shaping up they do. I mean won't you lose weight if you are walking around more? Is it the shoes or that fact you are walking more to get the shoes to work? icon_confused.gif

I don't think it's the weight loss so much as the extra toning it claims to do. For example, if you have a hard time toning your glutes, these shoes are supposed to help with that. Another thing they do is adjust your posture. icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:45pm
post #15 of 22

And please know that I am a bad person to ask about the leg/butt thing because that's not my 'problem area'. So it's possible that they work like a miracle, but I don't notice a difference because that's how that area already is on me. Now, if they had abdominal shape-ups, or double-chin shape-ups, I'd be all over that! I'd know right away if that helped! Heheh.

butternut Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:49pm
post #16 of 22

abdominal shape-ups. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Oh yeah, I'd invest in those in a heart beat...

emrldsky Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:52pm
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

And please know that I am a bad person to ask about the leg/butt thing because that's not my 'problem area'. So it's possible that they work like a miracle, but I don't notice a difference because that's how that area already is on me. Now, if they had abdominal shape-ups, or double-chin shape-ups, I'd be all over that! I'd know right away if that helped! Heheh.

I hear you! I was given a spa package from my DH last fall for our anniversary, and part of it was a massage. The masseuse asked me if I was a runner, and after scoffing and laughing while saying, "NO!" the response was, "Well, your glutes are very tight. Good job!"

A bit awkward, but I never had a problem with those areas either. I've always been told I had a nice butt. icon_wink.gif

Melvira Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:15pm
post #18 of 22

Hahaha! Yah, I have NO butt. I have what I call horse legs, solid muscle. It's above the buns and hips that I start hitting marshmallow town! icon_lol.gif I have very muscular arms and legs from weight lifting, but I've always battled with my middle, I have no idea why. One of those body types I guess. And of course that's associated with higher risk of all these health problems, so I'm trying to improve it. icon_rolleyes.gif It's just never easy, this stuff! I wish shoes WERE enough to do it, don't you!?

emrldsky Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:55pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:

Hahaha! Yah, I have NO butt. I have what I call horse legs, solid muscle. It's above the buns and hips that I start hitting marshmallow town! icon_lol.gif I have very muscular arms and legs from weight lifting, but I've always battled with my middle, I have no idea why. One of those body types I guess. And of course that's associated with higher risk of all these health problems, so I'm trying to improve it. icon_rolleyes.gif It's just never easy, this stuff! I wish shoes WERE enough to do it, don't you!?

Definitely!!! I very nearly have a "ba-donk-a-donk" rear. I have enough to spare. I AM lucky, though, to have just as much on top as on the bottom, so it evens out. I'm an hourglass shape as it is.

Want some of my rear?

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:14am
post #20 of 22
Quote:

Now, if they had abdominal shape-ups, or double-chin shape-ups, I'd be all over that!

Let me know when you find those! I could use a pair! hahahahahah

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 12:37am
post #21 of 22
Quote:

! I wish shoes WERE enough to do it, don't you!?

Wouldn't that be something! icon_biggrin.gif

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:34pm
post #22 of 22

I have a pair of Champion shoes similar to the shape ups (got them from payless). I love them!! I haven't noticed difference from my other shoes but they are very comfortable now that I am used to them. I paid around $40 for them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%