So, Am I Crazy??

Decorating By KayMc Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 2:46am by NerdyGirl

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:37am
post #1 of 6

Next week I have the fourth/last Wilton class for basic decorating. All of the projects so far have been rather un-pretty. The second class we had to do this nasty cupcake on top of the cake. It was truly awful! I came home, scraped it off, and put on the big loopy fondant bow that was drying on my counter, along with some gumpaste flowers I had as well. It became quite nice!

I don't want to just do the cake that's in the book for us to make, so I've decided to do my first stacked cake. icon_surprised.gif I'm baking two 8" layers, and two 6" layers. I also made 20 of those new ribbon roses and they're drying on the counter. The reason I think I might be crazy, is that I'll need to pipe in order to do the design I'm thinking of. And I have already announced to all of you how much I suck at piping! Am I nuts? I'll have to pipe shell borders, and dots. It doesn't sound IMPOSSIBLE, does it????????

5 replies
dozenredroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dozenredroses Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:46am
post #2 of 6

No! This is how you learn. Have fun and explore. Don't be to hard on yourself and post pictures.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:49am
post #3 of 6

The best way to learn how to swim is to jump in a lake. That's how I learned decorating. I was thrown into the mix at the grocery store bakery. My boss showed me how to pipe a rose a couple times and then said "Okay, so do three roses a piece for those cookie cakes that are on the rack over there and put them on the table. See you tomorrow!"

I wouldn't let my mind psych me out of the job at hand. I would just think, "Ok, this is what I have to do now. So just do it." And I did it.

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 2:34am
post #4 of 6

This is a great opportunity for more practice! Definitely a great idea to use your Wilton class cakes to do the things you feel the least comfortable with! Go for it and have fun!

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 2:41am
post #5 of 6

It will be a learning experience, that's for sure! Thanks for the encouragement, guys! If it's not too dreadful, I'll post pictures. icon_redface.gif

NerdyGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NerdyGirl Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 2:46am
post #6 of 6

Have you SEEN my pictures? Just DO it! Have fun. Don't stress out.

As a side note, yes...you're crazy. But the good kind of crazy. Creative people are crazy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%