Amazing, I Would Love Insight. Cakecentral Mag. Page 110-110

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 2:21pm by ohnoono

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 12:34am
post #1 of 23

Seriously, one of the most stunning cakes Ive ever seen. The shape of the face and bust is just amazingly perfect. Ive had people ask me for cakes like this, but I know I dont have the skills to pull it off. I'd still love to know how it's done. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Maybe some guesses on how it was created? If the creator is here on this site, let me tell you...you're my hero. lol

This cake is on page 110-111 in the cakecentral magazine...the june issue.

Is this done with modeling chocolate? If so, what would be the process to cover it and shape it? I've never worked with it, but I can tell it cant be fondant. There is no way you could produce that look with fondant....at least, I dont think so. If so, I know for sure I dont have the skills. If it is modeling chocolate, how would you color it like that? What kind of product is used to paint the lips and eyes? Is it possible the head is not cake? What kind of support could be used in something like this?

I'm just so amazed. I'd love to discuss this with you guys.

Oh, and OT, but anyone else freaked out by the doughnuts in this issue? lol. Hey, it may be great, but it's kind of hard to automatically think OH YUM! Bacon glazed doughnuts filled with coconut! LMAO! I think my jaw dropped when I read that article. icon_biggrin.gif

22 replies
Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 12:49am
post #2 of 23

That is an amazing cake, and the maker is a member here, maybe he or she will reply soon, watching the topic with you.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 12:55am
post #3 of 23

I don't have the magazine can you post a picture of it please?

JCE62108 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:01am
post #4 of 23

I dont know that I should. It may be a copyright issue if I scanned it and posted it. Not only that, it doesnt seem right without the consent of this website and the creator of the cake. If the photo is already on this site, maybe someone can link us to it. icon_smile.gif To be courteous, I wont post the photo myself.

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:35am
post #6 of 23

THere it is! Thank you so much! I didn't think it would be on here. icon_smile.gif Isnt it AMAZING!?

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:13am
post #7 of 23

Yes it is.

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:14am
post #8 of 23

There's a magazine?? How do I get it?

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:34am
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kger

on the top bar of this website you should see a "magazine" tab

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:09pm
post #10 of 23

That is an amazing cake. I like Cake Central magazine. I love to look over it with a cup of coffee and just be in awe. I especially like the last photo where she shows it being cut. I'm wondering if the head is all cake too or if it some other kind of modeling medium. Modeling chocolate, or RKT perhaps?

Have you tried PMing the artist and see if she is aware of this discussion? Maybe she will chime in here.

This is one of those things I think is missing from the magazine, discussion on how the cake is made. I think if they did that they would turn from an eye candy magazine to a resource magazine, which I think would be awesome.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:17pm
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

This is one of those things I think is missing from the magazine, discussion on how the cake is made. I think if they did that they would turn from an eye candy magazine to a resource magazine, which I think would be awesome.

I agree - maybe if they just discuss how they made one part of the cake and not give away ALL of their secrets.

JCE62108 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:18pm
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kger

lol! Yeah, and let me tell you, it's such a beautiful magazine and worth every penny. I think it was something like $60 for 10 issues. That is about as much as some magazines are at the grocery store, but the quality of the pages and photos is more like a book. It's gorgeous. icon_smile.gif Edna has an awesome article in there, BTW. I need to come work for you, Edna. You're my hero. icon_smile.gif

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:20pm
post #13 of 23

That cake is amazing, but, well, who would eat that? I've always wondered if people who order these kinds of cakes, or babies(especially babies!) actually eat them. It would really weird me out. The minute someone handed me a plate with a finger or an elbow...or gawd forbid an eyeball....I think I'd lose it.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:48pm
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeysmokerton

That cake is amazing, but, well, who would eat that? I've always wondered if people who order these kinds of cakes, or babies(especially babies!) actually eat them. It would really weird me out. The minute someone handed me a plate with a finger or an elbow...or gawd forbid an eyeball....I think I'd lose it.

LOL! I think those cakes are amazing to look at too...the belly cakes are the ones that freak me out...make me think...Charles Manson... at the thought of cutting it!

Uniqueask Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 5:54pm
post #15 of 23

I PM'd her with the link to the forum, hopefully she replies.

smokeysmokerton Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 9:46pm
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Quote:

LOL! I think those cakes are amazing to look at too...the belly cakes are the ones that freak me out...make me think...Charles Manson... at the thought of cutting it!

Oooooh the belly cakes *shiver* I forgot about those....or maybe I just blocked them out so I could sleep again icon_biggrin.gif

JCE62108 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 9:51pm
post #17 of 23

Around halloween time last year, some kind of doctors office called and wanted an oozing leg cake. I got so excited! I wanted to do it so bad. She called me back later and said her boss was standing over her shoulder when she was talking to me, shaking her head and was like "NO WAY." So I didnt get to do it. I was sooo looking forward to it. I would have wanted the big toe. Or some crusty heel. LOL!!! (think about THAT when you go to sleep tonight) icon_biggrin.gif

JCE62108 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 10:02pm
post #18 of 23
Quote:

What, you don't want your cake watching you as you devour it? I cant imagine why. LOL!!!!

JCE62108 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 10:04pm
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueask

Thank you. I'm really looking forward to learning about this technique. Im actually kind of surprised no one has said anything about it yet. Not even any guesses on how it may be done?

smokeysmokerton Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 10:24pm
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

What, you don't want your cake watching you as you devour it? I cant imagine why. LOL!!!!

No, and that's not just limited to cake. I don't eat crawfish, lobster, whole, unskinned fish, etc. If it's lookin at me, I ain't eatin it. I can't. I'll most definately start hallucinating blinking/tears/winks....it's just not worth it.

Oh, and thanks for the oozing leg thing....I guess now that the baby belly cakes are in my head again I've got TWO things to block out.... icon_cry.gif

Uniqueask Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:07pm
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueask

Thank you. I'm really looking forward to learning about this technique. Im actually kind of surprised no one has said anything about it yet. Not even any guesses on how it may be done?

You're welcome, I am surprised she hasn't responded yet. by the way you have to share with me please, how you made that baby cake in your photos, it is absoutely awesome, and how did you do the blanket, meaning did you roll it out and diamond quilted it first before laying it on the baby, I know you did but I am actually asking your technique. because I tried to do a quilted blanket on a bassinet, and failed miserably.

JCE62108 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:51pm
post #22 of 23

Hmm...I think I just drew the lines on with something pointy. A rose nail or something. I think I did do it before putting it on. Geez I made this thing twice and can barely remember how I did it! lol. I made a better one a few months ago. I dont post photos on here though because I already have photos in two other places. Too much to keep up with, really. icon_smile.gif Here's more of mine though...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Altamonte-Springs-FL/wwwthesugarorchidcom/189989553188

ohnoono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ohnoono Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:21pm
post #23 of 23

Hello everyone! I am THEE worst at checking my cakecentral account! arrrrg. However, anyone who has ever PM'ed me knows that I ALWAYS respond icon_wink.gif

First off, I'd like to thank everyone who had nice things to say about my cake art. I do admit that I am an acquired taste. I like to think outside the cake box.

Second, let's get down to business. Le cake, right? I usually use RKT for the head and faces of any cake sculpture. It holds up better. I use modelling chocolate, fondant and gum paste. I paint the fondant with food pastes, petal dusts, pearl dusts, luster dusts. I have many, many paint brushes! However, I do NOT own an airbrush. But, if anyone has an extra airbrush machine that they don't want...ha ha! Joking, joking. The body is supported by PVC pipe and metal flanges (which you can buy at any hardware store). The support system in itself costs $$$$$$. I think I spent $40 on my mad hatter cake. And I didn't have a master-plan when I started thinking about the support system. I went to Home Depot and asked one of the customer service reps to hook me up with an employee who was super crafty. So, this really awesome guy named Brandon from HD actually designed my support system. I've always been a fan of asking for help! icon_smile.gif If anyone needs any further info, please PM me. I'll try my best to be diligent about logging into my CC account!

Thanks, again!

~Sarah

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%