Need Help With A Military Theme Cake

Decorating By BEVERLEY Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 12:26am by CarriM

BEVERLEY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BEVERLEY Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 11:16pm
post #1 of 8

I am kinda new to the military life with my husband. My husband is in a new unit and they are having a Family Day next month and I have offered to make the cake. LOL. Now I'm not sure what kind of design to do. I want to do an American, military, something to do with his unit, something to do with family theme. I think I want to do three tiers high. Any ideas would be very helpful.
Thanks for any help. usaribbon.gif

7 replies
cakesbymindysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymindysue Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 8

Are they wanting a centerpiece cake or just cake to have as people want some? My dh has been in for almost 16 years and usually the only time they have a cake as any sort of centerpiece is for formal functions or Christmas (woops, it's Holiday now) parties. If this is just a fun day picnic type thing I would just make a sheet cake with the unit name on it, maybe the emblem depending on how detailed it its. Remember that most people there won't know how to cut a tiered cake and it would either just sit there or be hacked beyond recognition.

MJTKNT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJTKNT Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 12:58am
post #3 of 8

What does your husband's unit specialize in? Medical, aviation, mp? What branch of the military is he in? Is the "family day" celebration centered around the 4th of July? That'd be helpful for ideas. I've been in the military for 5 years, and we've only ever had store bought sheet cake (which NEVER tastes or looks very good), so I think having a nice cake would be awesome. Either way, someone has to cut the cake, so I don't think it matters if it's tiered and you'd do it, or if it's just a sheet cake and someone else were to do it.

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:09am
post #4 of 8

I am with cakesbymindysue on the idea of a sheet cake. I am getting ready to do my husband's ship's crest. I am not sure which branch he is in, but could you do their crest (not sure what it is called in other branches)?

cakesbymindysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymindysue Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:46pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Quote:

Either way, someone has to cut the cake, so I don't think it matters if it's tiered and you'd do it, or if it's just a sheet cake and someone else were to do it.

Yes, but if she goes with the tiered and has to stand around to wait and cut it then she'll be missing out on the festivities. If someone else tries to cut it I can just see them not removing tiers and trying to cut the edges and then you end up with a tower. A sheet cake anyone should be able to cut and wouldn't require her to "guard" it and miss out on the fun.

MJTKNT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJTKNT Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 7:28pm
post #6 of 8

Meh, if it were done to where everyone when the time for cake came around she just sliced the whole thing, and had pieces ready it wouldn't be a big deal and she wouldn't miss out on a thing. Really, food and cake go hand in hand- there aren't going to be extra festivities going on while everyone's eating that she wouldn't already be missing. Anyhow, I'm not here to debate. I think if she wants to make a tiered cake, it'd be pretty and well received, and very much so possible to cut and serve easily...and much more fun to decorate!

ccordes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccordes Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 12:09am
post #7 of 8

I don't know how set you are on doing a cake, but for my DH's squadron picnic last year, I just made cupcakes. It's easier for people to just grab and eat and you won't have to worry about cutting it and having plates and forks around for everyone. Do the pretty swirl on top, add some sprinkles and you're good to go!

CarriM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarriM Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 12:26am
post #8 of 8

I'd just do cupcakes with flags, yellow ribbons, etc. Keep it simple so you can enjoy yourself!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%