White Chocolate Ganache...what Kind/brand Do You Use??

Baking By tinygoose Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 11:53pm by 3LittleBeesCookies

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:23am
post #31 of 44

What do you do if someone hates or is allergic to chocolate, ksmith1012?
Do you refuse the order?

twinkie126 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinkie126 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:36am
post #32 of 44

I have in my website the advice for allergies. I don't take the order if the customer tell me there is somebody allergic to anything. I just tell them go to an other bakery that make diet cakes.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:35am
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith1012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_girl816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

Yep, sad but true. I can't afford "real" white chocolate like Bakers so my family and friends will have to settle for Nestle or Ghiradelli chips. No one's complained yet icon_smile.gif

Ghiradelli chips aren't that bad..I don't mind using those but I don't care for the Nestle or Hershey's chips. As far as cost....I can get a 6 ounce of Bakers White Chocolate for $1.90 at Wal-Mart. Haven't found it that cheap anywhere else though. I buy a case at a time. thumbs_up.gif

What the heck? At my local Walmarts (There's three in a 15 mile radius!) the 6oz of Baker's is around 2.90!!! And I usually need around 24oz if I'm doing ganache at 3:1 so they're usually out of my price range icon_sad.gif

Yep, that was the price today at my Walmart. I bought it anyways and I do prefer it over nestle. I use ganache as the crumbcoat for all of my cakes, so if they prefer white chocolate over semi-sweet/dark, then they can pay the difference! thumbs_up.gif

I had my sister to check at Wal-Mart in her area (just 25 miles from me) and the price for Baker's white chocolate 6 ounce box is $2.67. I can't believe that our Wal-Mart sells it for so much less. Wonder why that is. The 8 ounce boxes of semi-sweet and unsweetened chocolate is also $1.90. The price for them at "her" Wal-Mart...$2.90. icon_confused.gif I don't understand why it's so much cheaper here but sure am glad that it is. thumbs_up.gif

ksmith1012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksmith1012 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:47am
post #34 of 44

[quote="7yyrt"]What do you do if someone hates or is allergic to chocolate, ksmith1012?
Do you refuse the order?[/quote

Yep. (Although, I haven't had any client complain/inquire about the ganache. They all seem to love it) It's my personal preference for my cakes. I also only cover my cakes in fondant. It's just how I run my business and if they have certain allergies or don't care for ganache or fondant I refer them somewhere else.

ksmith1012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksmith1012 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:51am
post #35 of 44
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yep, sad but true. I can't afford "real" white chocolate like Bakers so my family and friends will have to settle for Nestle or Ghiradelli chips. No one's complained yet icon_smile.gif

Ghiradelli chips aren't that bad..I don't mind using those but I don't care for the Nestle or Hershey's chips. As far as cost....I can get a 6 ounce of Bakers White Chocolate for $1.90 at Wal-Mart. Haven't found it that cheap anywhere else though. I buy a case at a time. thumbs_up.gif

What the heck? At my local Walmarts (There's three in a 15 mile radius!) the 6oz of Baker's is around 2.90!!! And I usually need around 24oz if I'm doing ganache at 3:1 so they're usually out of my price range icon_sad.gif

Yep, that was the price today at my Walmart. I bought it anyways and I do prefer it over nestle. I use ganache as the crumbcoat for all of my cakes, so if they prefer white chocolate over semi-sweet/dark, then they can pay the difference! thumbs_up.gif

I had my sister to check at Wal-Mart in her area (just 25 miles from me) and the price for Baker's white chocolate 6 ounce box is $2.67. I can't believe that our Wal-Mart sells it for so much less. Wonder why that is. The 8 ounce boxes of semi-sweet and unsweetened chocolate is also $1.90. The price for them at "her" Wal-Mart...$2.90. icon_confused.gif I don't understand why it's so much cheaper here but sure am glad that it is. thumbs_up.gif

Yes, you are very lucky mamawrobin! It's crazy that the prices can be so different.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:51am
post #36 of 44

I know that on the prices. I can go to the store in Lincolnton NC and then compare to Hickory (15 minutes away) and they are very different!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 6:23am
post #37 of 44

Thanks for all the info guys, I really appreciate it. I'll check out Trader Joes, we have one nearby. I ended up using 8oz of white bar chocolate (ww/cocoa butter) and 11 oz of white chips. It worked fine. The cake is amazingly smooth/sharp (well for me), which is what I was looking for.

Hopefully ganache will travel well. 2 1/2 hour car ride, but I plan on putting ice packs in the box (won't fit in the cooler).
Thanks again.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:09pm
post #38 of 44
dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:22pm
post #39 of 44

terrig007- I skimmed the posts and I did not see this answered. A Couveture is a chocolate that contains at minimum 31% cocoa butter which will provide a smooth texture, firm set up and a nice snap when set if tempered properly. Hope this helps!

MJTKNT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJTKNT Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:06pm
post #40 of 44
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'd be willing to bet it's because you're in AK, and that's where Wal-Mart's HQ is... too bad for all of us, but awesome for you! I bought some for $2.90 here yesterday, and I really want to try ganache instead of buttercream, but I'm not going to spend almost half of what I would for the entire cake just on chocolate!

BTW- how much ganache would I need to cover two tiers (10 and 6")?

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 3:13am
post #41 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onceuponadreamcakes

terrig007- I skimmed the posts and I did not see this answered. A Couveture is a chocolate that contains at minimum 31% cocoa butter which will provide a smooth texture, firm set up and a nice snap when set if tempered properly. Hope this helps!

Onceuponadreamcake, thank you so much. I have seen it mentioned in recipes but then it never said what exactly made it Couveture. Thank you!
terri

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 4:46am
post #42 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJTKNT

[

I'd be willing to bet it's because you're in AK, and that's where Wal-Mart's HQ is... too bad for all of us, but awesome for you! I bought some for $2.90 here yesterday, and I really want to try ganache instead of buttercream, but I'm not going to spend almost half of what I would for the entire cake just on chocolate!

I thought that as well but I had my sister to check at "her" Wal-Mart and she just lives 25 miles from me and it's $2.67 there. Who knows? I'm just lucky I guess. LOL

BTW- how much ganache would I need to cover two tiers (10 and 6")?

If you want to fill your cake with it as well you probably need three batches for cakes that size. thumbs_up.gif

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 11:36pm
post #43 of 44

[ These are the ones I use, http://www.ghirardelli.com/products/chips_white.aspx Sadly not so real, no mention of cocoa butter to be had and notice they say "white chips" nothing about "chocolate" Oh well, like I said, no complaints icon_smile.gif[/quote]

@Jeep_girl816--
Weird. I have the actual all natural, white chocolate chips by Ghirardelli. They say chocolate on them and the ingredients contain no hydro oils. I just looked. I have a bunch of packs in my freezer from when I last caught em on sale. icon_smile.gif For as much as their chocolate costs, it should be real. LOL Guess they have two different kinds.

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 11:53pm
post #44 of 44

These are the ones that I use. I didn't know there was more than one type. Have a good weekend, people!

http://www.worldwidechocolate.com/shop_Ghirardelli_213.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%