How Many Servings To Plan For A Wedding?

Decorating By absijails Updated 22 Jun 2010 , 10:15pm by absijails

absijails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
absijails Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 10

I'm making the cake for my cousin's wedding. She's inviting 330 people.
How do you plan the number of servings actually needed? This is my gift to her and I want to have enough, but I also don't want to be left with servings and servings of cake! Is there a magic formula to use?
Thanks so much!

9 replies
SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 10

Remember your not the one taking home the cake after the wedding. I am doing a wedding cake for a friend and she ordered more so the staff working the party could have a slice. She has worked banquets before and she said she always heard staff complaining about how the cake looked great but wished there were left overs. Imagine what else she would have seen. icon_wink.gif

do you know if they are having other desserts? I would plan on enough cake for all guests but that might just be me. If the cake is good then they won't mind left overs

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 10

Is it buffet, where only folks who want cake take it...or sit-down where every guest is served a slice, whether they want it or not? Are the B&G keeping the top tier for their anniv?

absijails Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 10

It is buffet and they are also having pies. I'm not sure how many pies, but she should be getting back to me soon on that...The wedding is in October, so we have time. And it is a really simple design, so it won't be difficult to add a tier. Like I said before, I just don't want there to be a ton of leftover cake...

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 10

I always estimate 80% of the total number of people actually there (not invited) for the number of cake servings.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 7:03pm
post #6 of 10

Indydebi always says 60% of invited guest will show (but there are 3 exceptions to the rule, military is the only one i can remember right now)

absijails Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 10

The percentage was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! I really appreciate the advice!

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 8:45pm
post #8 of 10

Just another thought (as everyone else is on the right track) ... did the bride and groom want a small tier to keep in tact for themselves to freeze or just eat later?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 8:50pm
post #9 of 10

Here's the info: http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/search/label/RSVP
I've used this calculation for 30 years. The only time it failed was when I learned what the exceptions were! icon_biggrin.gif

absijails Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 10:15pm
post #10 of 10

Debi - thanks so much for the link! A wealth of information on that site!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%