What Are Your Favorite Helpful Hints? Let's All Share!

Decorating By mbark Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 1:46am by mbark

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 5

I thought it would be fun to share our favorite little tips & hints we have discovered while cake decorating. I'll go first!
I recently found the best way to clean my very large, bulky & unwielding silicone mat is in the shower & hang it over the shower door to dry.
A great cupcake holder (for friends & family) is rinsed & reused fruit & vegetable plastic hinges. My local Trader Joes sells lots of produce this way.
Ok now you!

4 replies
raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 5

Mine is just a reminder about the icing plugs, it's a sticky on the cake decorating forum under tips from my instructor. It's the best time saver! I just make all my "icing plugs" even for icing the cake since I don't crumb coat, just use the icing tip with a large icing bag and have my large plugs ready for "no mess" refills" Thanks to "newlyweds" for the great tutorial with pics! icon_biggrin.gif
Another very useful thing for me is using a plastic rubbermaid cart on coasters for storage, the kind with drawers. I can roll it out where I need it and helps keep the mess to a minimum.
Oh, and last but not least, using the clear vinyl you can buy at the fabric store for rolling out my fondant and gumpaste. It works great, it's super cheap so you can cut it to suit your needs, and it sticks really well to working surfaces for no slipping while rolling.

paoli96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paoli96 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 5

Raquel1

Just 2 days ago, I looked at my pile of "cake stuff" taking up counter space in my kitchen and thought I had to come up with a better idea. Most of my supplies are kept in the basement; therefore, I am always running up and down the steps (great for exercise-bad for getting the cake done.)

I remembered I had one of those rolling carts in my basement. I am now using it for cake supplies. I can see how wonderful this is going to be and I feel somewhat organized!!! I didn't realize I had so many bottles of the same color of gel coloring. Oops!

I am happy you mentioned the vinyl from the fabric department. I wondered if that would work as I have some sitting in my craft room. I will give it a try this week icon_smile.gif

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 5

Only 1 tip, I don't think I can keep it to 1.

To make strudy bases for cakes buy ceramic tiles at the hardware store and glue furniture coasters to the bottom to make little feet. If you have little feet it makes it so much easier to pick up the cake because your fingers can fit underneath.

Parchment paper sheets are great for rolling out fondant, they are disposable and inexpensive. You can even roll your fondant and use the sheet to lift it and place on the cake then just peel it off.

Melvira Roller!!!!

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:46am
post #5 of 5

ok, lovin' these, keep 'em coming...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%