Timeline For Decorating In Heat And Humidity.

Decorating By hula1974 Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 7:52pm by hula1974

hula1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hula1974 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a wedding cake for my sister's July outdoor wedding (under a tent). I've been reading old threads about how to handle fondant in the heat and humidity. There have been some great tips. A lot of which have to do with drying out.

Since I don't want to have a stale cake, can you help me put together a timeline of when I should bake, cool, ice, fondant, etc so that I give everything the right amount of drying time?

Wedding is Sat. and the cakes need to be done Friday before I go to bed.
Thanks for all the tips.

4 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula1974

I'm making a wedding cake for my sister's July outdoor wedding (under a tent). I've been reading old threads about how to handle fondant in the heat and humidity. There have been some great tips. A lot of which have to do with drying out.

Since I don't want to have a stale cake, can you help me put together a timeline of when I should bake, cool, ice, fondant, etc so that I give everything the right amount of drying time?

[i]I would bake, cool, level and freeze my cake on Tuesday. Take from freezer..let thaw and crumbcoat on Wednesday. Ice and cover with fondant on Thursday and decorate on Friday. I WOULD NOT use perishable fillings so that the cake won't have to be refrigerated. A cake that is kept at room temperature does much better in the heat and humidity than one that has been refrigerated. I would also use an all shortening based buttercream like Indydebi's or Sugarshack's. Butter will not hold up under these conditions because it has a lower melting point than shortening. This is the "timeline" that I use for a Saturday cak
e.
[/
i]

Wedding is Sat. and the cakes need to be done Friday before I go to bed.
Thanks for all the tips.

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 5

I agree. It's funny, I used this exact "timeline" when I did my first ever wedding cake! lol

Dolledupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolledupcakes Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 5

Thats the timeline I use as well. Tonight is baking night. Happy baking ladies.

hula1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hula1974 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the tips.
I think I will bake on Monday then (since it's a day off for me) and freeze.

On your second day in the timeline - is this when you'd tort and fill?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%