How Much Is Your Non-Refundable Retainer For Weddings?

Business By bfranzen Updated 22 Jun 2010 , 2:22pm by cakesdivine

bfranzen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bfranzen Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 4:38am
post #1 of 8

I'v had my cake business for a while and am just starting to accept wedding cake orders. What do you require as a non-refundable retainer to hold the date? I was thinking 30% of the order or possibly $150. Curious what others do for a retainer.
Thanks!

7 replies
Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 6:47am
post #2 of 8

I need 50% to book the date, and the balance is due 4 weeks before the date.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 7:09am
post #3 of 8

50% puts it on my calendar. The final payment, 2 weeks prior, is what actually turns on my oven. My contract stated that all payments were non-refundable. I'm not a saving bank where someone can make a deposit and get it back anytime they want. I dont' pretend to be a savings account .... Chase bank doesn't pretend to make cakes!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 10:49am
post #4 of 8

50% non-refundable and the remainder 30 days before the wedding.

spring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spring Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 11:58am
post #5 of 8

50% required for booking...NON REFUNDABLE. Balance due 4 weeks prior to wedding date...NON REFUNDABLE.

Minette

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:52pm
post #6 of 8

50% required at booking time, and the balance due 3 weeks prior to event. Contract states that all are NON-REFUNDABLE.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:58pm
post #7 of 8

25% non-refundable (for any reason) deposit, remainder due 3 weeks prior. It takes 3 weeks for a check to clear, but I pretty much require final payments to be by PayPal.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:22pm
post #8 of 8

50% ($300 minimum) non refundable. Balance due 2 weeks prior to delivery. If cake is under $300 they pay in full at time of order. Have never had a problem with this practice. I am not a walkin bakery with items ready for sale, custom only so it makes sense to do it this way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%