Post Licensed Charactures On Website (Daughters Cake)

Decorating By grossoutqueen Updated 22 Jun 2010 , 5:32am by JaimeAnn

grossoutqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grossoutqueen Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:20am
post #1 of 7

I have 2 spongebob cakes that I have made. Both were made for my daughters so neither were sold. Is it ok to put them on my cake website since they were made by me for my daughters birthdays?

6 replies
JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:29am
post #2 of 7

If you are using your website for selling cakes or taking orders or to direct people to look at the cakes you made so they can pick a cake to buy from you , then no you should not put the pictures on there.

If your website is just a personal website that shows "look at the pretty cakes I made" and you have no intention of selling any cakes then yes you can post them.

It is in your own best interest that Cake Central members inform you that it is illegal to advertise licensed characters for sale. It isn't just being mean. In fact selling ANY cake without the proper permits is not a good idea the fines are VERY large and you could even be sued by any company that has an actual legitimate copyright on any character cake you sell.

HTH

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:35am
post #3 of 7

I agree with JaimeAnn.

grossoutqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grossoutqueen Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:34am
post #4 of 7

I have no intentions of selling any licensed characters on cakes. I made the cakes for my girls and have them on my website that I do sell cakes from but only because I just don't have a lot of cakes to put on there yet.

If I put a note underneath that states they were made for personal use and that the sale of licensed characters is against the law, can I leave them up?

ksmith1012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksmith1012 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:47am
post #5 of 7

IMHO, I would advise to take them down. If you are selling cakes on this website, why would you advertise cakes that your clients can't purchase? If you have a limited portfolio I would decorate some dummies and display cakes that your clients *can* order. Even if you have it labeled that you can't duplicate and resell any of the character cakes, you will still get inquiries about them from the muggles who don't take the time to read the fine print. And then you will get the, "But it was on your website!? icon_confused.gif "

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:52am
post #6 of 7

I vote for not posting them up. You're just going to get clients upset that you can't do it for them.

On the other hand, I believe Sharon (sugarshack) has some character cakes and she has a note that says they are not for sale.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 5:32am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by grossoutqueen

I have no intentions of selling any licensed characters on cakes. I made the cakes for my girls and have them on my website that I do sell cakes from but only because I just don't have a lot of cakes to put on there yet.

If I put a note underneath that states they were made for personal use and that the sale of licensed characters is against the law, can I leave them up?

You CAN do whatever you want. I believe you have been given some good advise on this and agree with the others that say you are just opening youself up to the people who are going to say "Its on your website why can't you just make it for me, I won't tell anyone!"

Bottom line is its up to you how you handle YOUR business. If you are dead set on leaving them on your site you should at the least note that you can not sell cakes like those, that they are personal use and only on your website to dsplay your cake ability. BUT I would still advise against .

I agree that you should get some cake dummies and just decorate for your portfolio the types of cakes you will be selling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%