Two Chicken Questions...

Lounge By TexasSugar Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 1:32pm by TexasSugar

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 19

First question: What is your favorite way to Roast/Bake a whole chicken? What seasonings and spices do you like on it? Do you add any veggies to the pan?

I've only baked a whole chicken once and that was several years ago. For some reason last night when I was at the store it sounded like a good idea so I bought a chicken. Earlier I spend time searching for how to bake a chicken and figured out that it really just depends on what you like.

I do like hearing other ideas that I may not connect the dots to, so tell me, how do you roast/bake your chickens?

Second question: What do you put in your chicken salad?

Since I only have to feed me, obviously my baked chicken will be repeated many times until it is gone. Chicken salad would be a quick and easy lunch idea. When I do chicken salad I do it one of two ways. One way is just chicken, shredded apple and miracle whip. The other way is chicken, green onion, grapes, plain yogurt and a small squirt of mustard.

What is your favorite add in to chicken salad?

18 replies
snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:58am
post #2 of 19

Thomas Keller's roast chicken is hands down the best roasted chicken I've ever had. Just salt, pepper and great technique. No herbs, but you don't need them.

Chicken salad - curried with apples, raisins, grapes, maybe some walnuts.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:04am
post #3 of 19

I use an upright chicken roaster over a can of ginger ale. I season the chicken just with a little garlic powder(california blend) and pepper and a VERY little amount of seasoning salt and onion powder.

My chicken salad is, diced chicken, celery, diced apple, pecans, chopped green onion and a little mayo. You can use miracle whip if you like it tangy.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:12am
post #4 of 19

I love to roast chicken, and just rub it with softened butter and sprinkle it with kosher salt and ground black pepper.

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 5:53am
post #5 of 19

My favorite chicken salad is just the cooked chicken mixed with some mayonnaise, tarragon and coarsely chopped smoked almonds. Stir it all up and serve on a good, whole grain bun or sourdough roll.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:09pm
post #6 of 19

My In-Laws go (back home) to Wisconsin to visit at least once a year and bring me back a large container of Pleasoning an all-purpose gourmet seasoning. That and some sea salt is wonderful on chicken!!!

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:22pm
post #7 of 19

My Oma's version
mix mayonaise and sour cream, season with a little salt, pepper, lemon juice and sugar
open and drain a can of mandarin oranges, mix the fruit with the chicken and use some of the juice to season and liquify the sauce as well. Let it rest for at least 4 hrs in fridge and taste again before serving. Nothing ever was left over, especially when served with crusty franch Baguette, YUMMO!

TexasSugar Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:10pm
post #8 of 19

I ended up baking it with drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper, then crushed two garlic cloves and tossed them in the middle. It came out yummy or either I was very hungry, either way I can't wait to turn the left overs in to other stuff.

I'm definetly having chicken salad one day this week. icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 6:37pm
post #9 of 19

I like it just like you said, with the addition of a cut lemon thrown inside the cavity with the garlic.

Sometimes I'll stick sage leaves under the skin on the breast too if they have them at the store that week.

Also...........I like to cook my bird on the higher side, at 375 and the skin gets REALLY dark and crispy and the meat stays SUPER juicy!!

Another thing I love to do with the leftover chicken is to make quesadillas (and no Texas, I don't make them with egg roll wrappers lol)

although, you could make some chicken egg rolls!! LOL

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 7:57pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

Another thing I love to do with the leftover chicken is to make quesadillas (and no Texas, I don't make them with egg roll wrappers lol)

Oh yes! shredded chicken quesadillas, with some ortega chilies and pepper jack cheese.. Some Pico de Gallo on the side .....YUMMMMM now I'm hungry!

TexasSugar Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 8:14pm
post #11 of 19

I'm going to freeze some of the chicken and I'm thinking I'll use it for quesdillas. icon_smile.gif I made a little gravy with the chicken juices so I'm thinking maybe chicken and rice (I have those single servings or rice).

Funny you should mention those egg roll wrappers. I stirfried some veggies last night to finally actually make some egg rolls. I also baked (well I put them in the crock pot) some pork spare ribs, so I thought the eggrolls would be good with that. That's dinner tomorrow night I think.

ladycakes85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladycakes85 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 12:24am
post #12 of 19

chicken, miracle whip, celery, grapes, pineapple and walnuts makes my favorite chicken salad.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 11:29pm
post #13 of 19

When I do chicken I like to rub with butter, ground thyme and rosemary, salt and pepper. Ohhhhhh....so yummy. When I do my chicken salad I just add a little chopped onion and celery and a little miracle whip. And I know this is totally off point...I make my tuna salad the same way and add diced up cheese and grill it like a grilled cheese. That is yummy as well.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:33am
post #14 of 19

Okay when I saw the subject line I thought "why did the chicken cross the road?"
Can you tell I have young children (and that I clearly need a break from them icon_razz.gif )

I usually rub garlic salt, onion salt, and some paprika on my chicken and then baste with a little butter. Turns out yummy.

With leftovers - chicken salad, quesadillas, chicken casserole, chicken pasta salad

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:11am
post #15 of 19

I don't think it was mentioned (but i could have missed it) my favorite way to cook a whole chicken is in the crock-pot (it is the best chicken we've ever had!!) I crumble up some aluminum foil and cover the bottom of the crock-pot with it. Season the chicken (i do something different depending on what i have in mind for the left overs) and then set it ontop of the foil, you just don't want it sitting on the bottom of the crock-pot. Cover (DON"T add any liquid) and cook on high for 4-6 hours. It literally will fall apart with you try to take it out.

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 6:03am
post #16 of 19

I love lemon pepper seasoning on my roast chicken.

For chicken salad I use low fat miracle whip, chopped pecans, finely diced celery, maybe some grapes cut in two and dill seasoning.

TexasSugar Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:34pm
post #17 of 19

I'm really enjoying seeing how everyone ones does things differently. icon_smile.gif

jqorso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jqorso Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 5:06am
post #18 of 19

This is probably really late for this and your chicken is probably gone. However, I found this recipe for brined roasted chicken and it is heavenly!

http://butteryum.blogspot.com/2009/02/juiciest-oven-roasted-chicken-ever.html

Oh and for leftovers I used the bones for stock, the meat for enchiladas and soup. Chicken salad, I like chicken, raisins, onions, celery, craisins, sliced almonds, salt pepper, and mayo. Put all that on croissants, yum!

TexasSugar Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:32pm
post #19 of 19

That looks like a very good recipe too! I'll be doing another chicken sometime I am sure.

I still have left over chicken in the freezer, so maybe I'll have some chicken salad this weekend.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%