Trying Out New Designs

Decorating By graciesj Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 10:31pm by graciesj

graciesj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
graciesj Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 15

I have a ladybug cake that I need to make for july 3rd and I've never made one before. I made a test cake yesterday for one of my shower cakes and I learned a great deal however my pocket is hurting. Is there a way I can practice making cakes without spending the $$$?thxgs icon_smile.gif

14 replies
mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 15

You can use cake dummies 9I order them online). Then that way you don't have to actually bake a cake. Or you can sketch out your ideas and just give yourself extra time when it's time to do the cake.

graciesj Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 15

sounds great, what's the site called? I also have red icing that I used for my apple cake that I'm thinking of using for this lady bug cake, or should I go with the fondant?thxgs icon_lol.gif

mom2spunkynbug Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 15

I order my dummies from Global Sugar Art (I get most of my cake toys from there).

Who is the ladybug cake for? If you are doing it for someone else, I'd ask them if they'd prefer buttercream or fondant. If it's for you/your family, I'd do whatever you feel like doing! I, personally, would do all my cakes in fondant if I could, but not everyone likes fondant!

graciesj Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 15

It's for a teacher at my sons school. Good advice I will def' ask her which she prefers. thank-you so much. As soon as I figure out how to upload my photos on here you can c them. thx againicon_smile.gifgsj

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 7:49pm
post #6 of 15

depending on what you are wanting to do.. Wilton has a really cute ladybug pan that you can do a number of ways! You should go to their site and take a look.

mom2spunkynbug Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 9:28pm
post #7 of 15

Yes, if you're a beginner too...Wilton has a great ladybug pan. When I was teaching, one of my students did that cake for her first cake and it came out lovely! (and she used all buttercream - if you're going to use buttercream, just make sure to color your buttercream ahead of time and let the colored icing sit...it will darken the longer it sits)

graciesj Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 11:29pm
post #8 of 15

Mcdonald, thank-you so much for the advice on the lady bug pan. We do have a cake suppler that carries wilton pans. Your input is appreciated thxicon_smile.gif
mom2spunkynbug(cool name btw), I already have red butter cream that I used for my apple cake and it's the kind that crusts faster, my supplier also did that for meicon_smile.gif When orders do start coming in I think I need to find a cheaper supplier though because the one we have in town is VERY expensive. Do any of you make your own butter cream and fondant? here the MMF is $7.50/pd and the BC is $5.45/lg tub.
Is this expensive?thank-you so much for listeningicon_smile.gifgsj

mom2spunkynbug Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:18am
post #9 of 15

Well I make everything from scratch...except for fondant, and I use Satin Ice (and I buy that from Global Sugar Art). That sounds pretty expensive for MMF. You'd think I work for Global Sugar Art, LOL, but I don't...they just have almost everything that I ever need when it comes to cake supplies...you should go there and take a look around! icon_smile.gif

http://www.globalsugarart.com

graciesj Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:23pm
post #10 of 15

thank-you for the info, I just took a look at it and am amazed at the prices. My only concern with SIF is the taste, how does it taste?icon_smile.gifgsj

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:32pm
post #11 of 15

Satin Ice fondant tastes pretty good. You could make MMF for practically peanuts. $7.50 per pound is crazy for MMF.

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 4:29pm
post #12 of 15

That MMF sounds expensive. I can make two pounds of MMF for under $5. I also make my own buttercream. I can make approximately 4 lbs for about $7.

Ladybug cake sounds like a cute idea!! Good luck!! I'm sure you will do just fine. You can always check out my cakes in my photos. I have a Ladybug cake also.

graciesj Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:57am
post #13 of 15

[quote="michel30014"]That MMF sounds expensive. I can make two pounds of MMF for under $5. I also make my own buttercream. I can make approximately 4 lbs for about $7.

Ladybug cake sounds like a cute idea!! Good luck!! I'm sure you will do just fine. You can always check out my cakes in my photos. I have a Ladybug cake also.[/quote]

yes it is expensive and I'm looking into making my own MMF because of that. I looked at your pic and their very cute, good work. once I figure out how to up load pics on here u can view mine too. thx for taking the time to replyicon_smile.gifgsj

mom2spunkynbug Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 4:15pm
post #14 of 15

Satin Ice tastes good. I use it for all my cakes, including wedding cakes. Duff used it, Pink Cake Box, Buddy Valastro and Ron Ben Israel use it, so...it's pretty good!!

The problem I had with making my own fondant was that it was so inconsistent. If you're cranking out orders and are fooling around with making your own fondant, there isn't any time to be wasted. If you're just starting out & are experimenting, then go ahead and make your own fondant.

graciesj Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 10:31pm
post #15 of 15

[quote="mom2spunkynbug"] tastes good. I use it for all my cakes, including wedding cakes. Duff used it, Pink Cake Box, Buddy Valastro and Ron Ben Israel use it, so...it's pretty good!!

The problem I had with making my own fondant was that it was so inconsistent. If you're cranking out orders and are fooling around with making your own fondant, there isn't any time to be wasted. If you're just starting out & are experimenting, then go ahead and make your own fondant.[/quote]

yeah I know, another friend of mine who took a class this winter said it's too much to do, especially when i make everything from scratch. there's someone in my town who sells a bucket of 20pds for $67.00, is this price good?thank-you for replying you're very sweet!xo

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%