Is There A Quicker Way To Make This Chain?

Decorating By awatterson Updated 28 Jun 2010 , 6:35pm by awatterson

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 10:08am
post #1 of 16

I am trying to make this chain and the only idea that I have is to use the clay extruder and make fondant rings and connect them. Does anyone have any better ideas? Thank you.
LL
LL

15 replies
leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 10:56am
post #2 of 16

No that is the only way I can think you could make it. Boy I hope you aren't making it to big!

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 11:02am
post #3 of 16

Could you make a DIY mold from a chain like that and use that to mold your gumpaste? I know there are some fantastic molding products out there now.

awatterson Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:16pm
post #4 of 16

Thanks guys. I am making the crest to go on top of a 9x13 cake.

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 16

What about piping with royal icing and painting gold afterwards?

awatterson Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 16

I was thinking about doing the royal icing, but I am too lazy to make another recipe of something. This is for my husband's ship. They just passed a really big inspection, so I am making it for the people in his work center.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:07pm
post #7 of 16

[quote="awatterson"]I was thinking about doing the royal icing, but I am too lazy to make another recipe of something.

"Too lazy to make another recipe of something." It seems like it may be less trouble if "lazy" is in the equation. icon_lol.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:09pm
post #8 of 16

pipe it in buttercream if you don't want to make royal. Then, paint it gold... that is, if you use basic, crusting buttercream

I'd rather pipe it than use the extruder...the extruder would be far more work than making another recipe of anything.

awatterson Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:28pm
post #9 of 16

mamawrobin and all4 cake you guys are too funny. I just might do the royal icing.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:48pm
post #10 of 16

ya i'd just pipe a rope border with an open star tip.

awatterson Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:09pm
post #11 of 16

You might be on to something metria. Thanks.

eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 11:09pm
post #12 of 16

I would also use the Royal icing but I would pipe a bunch of evenly spaced rectangles or ovals around the cake first, then connect them all with single bars across the top from the middle of one to the middle of the next so it looks like chain links... does that make sense? And I will chime in on the too lazy thing because I would generally be the same way, but making a batch of RI takes about 8 minutes tops and will save you a huge amount of time and probably a backache...

awatterson Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 11:27pm
post #13 of 16

It does make sense eccl1-12. My husband has now moved the cake date to Monday, so maybe I might muster up the energy to make some royal icing!

awatterson Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 6:19pm
post #14 of 16

So I ended up doing a buttercream border. I was trying to go with a rope border, but it didn't quite turn out to be a rope border. I put way too many hours into this cake. It was a double layer 9x13 and my husband said that the people at work devoured it in about 5 minutes flat (only 25 of them). Now I am glad that I didn't use the clay extruder to make the border. Thanks for everyone's help.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 6:29pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by awatterson

my husband said that the people at work devoured it in about 5 minutes flat (only 25 of them).

Too funny - I remember when I was stationed at Portsmouth Naval Hospital, our orthopedic docs and residents could do the same thing!

awatterson Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 6:35pm
post #16 of 16

The military men can scarf stuff down. I guess they are used to eating in a hurry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%