A Lady Wants This Cake...how Much Would You Charge?

Decorating By grossoutqueen Updated 4 Aug 2010 , 4:05pm by joycesdaughter111

grossoutqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grossoutqueen Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 36

I've been back and forth with a lady about a luau cake and she sent me this pic and said this is what she wants and how much would I charge...

My very initial cost starts @ 3.50 per serving for fondant. That is without any serious extras. This is a ton of work so I am unsure. She needs 50 servings so that puts it already at $175 without the extra stuff. What would you add to your cost for this cake?
LL

35 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 36

I have no idea what part of the country you're in, and that can make a difference, but I wouldn't do a cake with this much stuff on it for less than $275 or $300.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

I wouldn't do a cake with this much stuff on it for less than $275 or $300.

Ditto..frankly I wouldn't want to do that cake because I think it's kinds of tacky myself. I don't understand why people pick some of the cakes that they do.

icon_confused.gif

grossoutqueen Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 36

I am in VA and the rates that I charge (starting at 2.50 per serving for BC and 3.50 for fondant) are on the low-average end of what I see around here. Im just getting started which is why I charge that. I have been doing cakes for about 2 years but this is the first one I will actually sell.

I had to laugh and totally agree with the comment about the cake being tacky. I even drew her up a really pretty 3 tier cake that was much nicer (I thought) but she wants this one... Oh, wellicon_smile.gif

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 36

When given a photo of a cake I make sure to let my client know that I will not replicate someone else's work but that we can work off it to make it their own. While she's insisting on this cake you can refuse to do it...
I charge between $4.50 & $6 per serving for things like this here in Yorktown VA. Don't cut yourself short if you are charging lower than the going rates because you are "new".... You are worth every penny!

grossoutqueen Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 36

Cakemom42.... I am in Gloucester VA so I am just across the river from you! Small worldicon_smile.gif And thank you for your thoughtful comment. I guess I'm just nervous because it is one thing to make cakes for family all the time and a totally different thing to make them for strangers and charge them for it. I wonder how many I will have to sell before I get over the nerves and fear that they won't like what I doicon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 11:28pm
post #7 of 36

On the issue of what to charge..I took a look at your photos and although you have only two posted I can tell that you do know how the proper basic structure of a cake should be. I've seen some people on these forums want to know what to charge and they don't even know how to level a cake much less make one with a straight edge. I'd also say not be careful not to undercharge for this cake. It has so many little "extras" that are going to be VERY time consuming. Plus if you have to add a cake that's that ugly to your portfolio icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif you should be compensated for that. (just kidding) icon_lol.gif

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 11:38pm
post #8 of 36

If this is a cake you're worried about anyway, shoot her an insanely high price. If she still wants you to do it, then at least you will be compesated for your time--and stress! And if it takes you a little longer than you anticipate, you won't be kicking yourself later for taking it.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 11:43pm
post #9 of 36

$7-$8/serving plus the freedom to neaten up the colors and design...I didn't look at your work but if your work is equal in skill to the photo, and your ability to match colors and arrange stuff is BETTER than the photo...then....yeah at least in my area it could go for that much. If you are more rural, then, less.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 11:48pm
post #10 of 36

I think those two cakes are too cute! I love Hawaiian and luau themed cakes, so the waterfall, tiki head, surfboard, Pirouette cookies resembling bamboo, hibiscus, parrot, palm trees, tropical flowers, leis, etc look pretty cool. Someone put a lot of time into all of the neat details on this cake. I, too, hope they aren't a member here and see people being outright rude in their [unsolicited] comments about their cake.

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 12:31am
post #11 of 36

Actually, I kind of like it myself, it's kind of neat and different. But like others, I wouldn't do something that is an exact replica of someone else's cake. I don't know if you all remember a few months back but this one girl was trying to copyright every cookie design known to man and you never know, this might be copyrighted as well. But I think $250 for something similar would be a fair price.
Good luck with it though.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 9:59pm
post #12 of 36

But remember, it's not for you, but your client. What you think of the cake is irrelevant, so long as the client is happy and gets what she's paying you for. You're being hired as a cake artist, not to judge her tastes/requests. Just get on with the job, take the money and run!!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 5:52pm
post #13 of 36

JIMMY BUFFET WHERE ARE YOU??? I need a margarita...
Close ups here - http://www.notyouraveragecake.com/aloha/
One cake was white almond cake with raspberry and Bavarian filling and the other was a chocolate liqueur cake with cherry filling.

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 6:20pm
post #14 of 36

Is your customer's name Claire? That's the name on one of the cakes for a 60th B'Day. Maybe she is wanting it duplicated for sentimental reasons.

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 1:34am
post #15 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

I think those two cakes are too cute! I love Hawaiian and luau themed cakes, so the waterfall, tiki head, surfboard, Pirouette cookies resembling bamboo, hibiscus, parrot, palm trees, tropical flowers, leis, etc look pretty cool. Someone put a lot of time into all of the neat details on this cake. I, too, hope they aren't a member here and see people being outright rude in their [unsolicited] comments about their cake.

Ditto...Ditto...ditto

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 8:02am
post #16 of 36

I think that cake is adorable!!!!!

I have seen other cakes that are WWWWAAAAAYYYYY tackier than that!

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 8:23am
post #17 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

But remember, it's not for you, but your client. What you think of the cake is irrelevant, so long as the client is happy and gets what she's paying you for. You're being hired as a cake artist, not to judge her tastes/requests. Just get on with the job, take the money and run!!

AMEN!!!! I did a cake this weekend that bored me to tears, but I did it very well and made sure that it was exactly what the customer wanted...*LOL*... what ever blows their hair back... icon_wink.gif

kermitncupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kermitncupcake Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 10:26am
post #18 of 36

HOW RUDE! To come on a world wide website and say someone elses cake is UGLY?? Thats just down right bad manners! That cake would have taken hours to complete, by a very careful handed woman (??) for you all to come on here and shoot it down. Ive been shoked by the ugliness of some people on this site lately.
If the Original decorater of the cake came on and asked for you opinions, thats another thing.

LeonardoLi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeonardoLi Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 10:38am
post #19 of 36

How big will be these servings? A huge ones? She wants to have at least 100 servings for a price of 50 servings. Very cleaver! Be careful. And I wouldn't do this cake less than $300.

Meowcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meowcakes Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 1:20pm
post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitncupcake

HOW RUDE! To come on a world wide website and say someone elses cake is UGLY?? Thats just down right bad manners! That cake would have taken hours to complete, by a very careful handed woman (??) for you all to come on here and shoot it down. Ive been shoked by the ugliness of some people on this site lately.
If the Original decorater of the cake came on and asked for you opinions, thats another thing.

I think they said it was "tacky" not ugly. And it's not an ugly cake, it's just not to some people's cake. Personally, I like it. A little over done, but I think it was ment to be. And everyone is allowed to give their opinion. Kind of like you just did.

nyacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nyacake Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 11:03pm
post #21 of 36

Hi everyone..I was torn whether or not to reply because this is my cake. LOL. My friend and I made this for my mom's birthday. We are amateurs and it was the third time we have ever used fondant. With all of the comments on here I felt the need to stick up for myself and let you all know that. (Our work has improved much since then) I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who stood up for me and say no hard feelings to those who made fun. Considering it was made by an amateur with zero experience it came out good. Tacky? Maybe...but decent for a first try. Anyways... Just to make myself feel better...I would be honored if you would surf through our website and see our more recent cakes...we have improved greatly since then. www.notyouraveragecake.com Neither of us have had any training of any kind and are completely self taught. All the cakes on our site were made for family and friends.
Thanks,
Andrea
p.s. my mom loved her cake. icon_smile.gif

cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 11:29pm
post #22 of 36

Actually, someone did call the cake ugly but after they thought about how rude it was, they wrote the moderators and had them delete it and all of the posts that had quoted her comment. So someone seeing the posts a few days later wouldn't know that.

Mamatoboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamatoboys Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 11:39pm
post #23 of 36

nyacake - I just checked out your website...and I could look all day! Your cakes are beautiful. Love the monster truck! I'm going to be making 2 of those for my twin nephews' b-day this fall. Hope mine look half as good as yours!

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 11:46pm
post #24 of 36

I just checked out your blog...you guys are great! I am going to Fan you on Facebook for sure!!!

pat-a-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pat-a-cakes Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 11:51pm
post #25 of 36

To the original creator, I don't think it is an ugly cake at all, or tacky. It's very fun and not every occassion calls for a fancy cake. You did a great job and if your "client"/relative or whatever liked it then that's what matters. I fon't get it when other decorators refuse to do cakes because they don't want them in their portfolio, you don't have to put every cake you do in your portfolio.

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:16am
post #26 of 36

*LOL* and there ya have it folks!!!!! icon_lol.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:00am
post #27 of 36

I loved it, nyacake!

I had to get out all my Jimmy Buffett tapes!

hedge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hedge Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:15am
post #28 of 36

I just looked at your site NYACAKE, and I think your work is amazing! I am shocked that people can be so offensive on here. Constructive criticism is one thing but being rude is in a totally different category.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:23am
post #29 of 36

Like I said I thought the cake was adorable , sure it isn't for every occassion , but I have a close friend who has a Luau for his birthday every year and He would LOVE that cake.

nyacake- I think you did a great job and there is no need to have to stick up for yourself!

I bet if Duff or Buddy made a cake just like it everyone would have been saying OHHH AHHHH how cute. I have seen some of the "famous" decorators make some cakes that weren't half as nice as yours.

BY the way Welcome to CC! We are all pretty much a great group of friends and this a great place for ideas and advise. Hope to see you around more!

Now I am going to go take a look at your site icon_smile.gif

Jaime3679 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaime3679 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:32am
post #30 of 36

I too am about to take a look at your site. I think the cake is cute. Let those certain people put their first cake on here and see how great they are.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%