Stand Mixer

Decorating By veghed Updated 20 Jun 2010 , 9:35pm by veghed

veghed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veghed Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 8

I have come to the realization that if I want to take up baking/cake decorating, then I will need a stand mixer.

I am not in the mood to pay $500, though. I was hoping for around $200.

What are your opinions on the different brands?

I found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/KITCHENAID-10-speed-stand-mixer-325-W-TILT-5-QT-pink-/160447198427?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item255b65f4db

Do you see any problem with purchasing it?

My grandmother's stand mixer lasted forever, so I am thinking that this purchase will be something I will have the rest of my life?

7 replies
susieqhomemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susieqhomemaker Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 8

I think that's a good deal. I think that particular kind is usually around $250. I have a stand mixer like that one, and I LOVE it. It makes the baking so much easier!

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 8

get a kitchen aid on sale somewhere or maybe from costco. There is no comparison.

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 8

You could also look at Bed Bath & Beyond and use a 20% off coupon

JennasNonna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennasNonna Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 8

I have 2 kitchen aids, an older one and one i just received for Christmas. I love them and wouldn't do with any other. I cleaned my old one really good and now only use it for meringue or royal icing recipes that require grease free tools.

Navyempress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Navyempress Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 8:03pm
post #6 of 8

I wanted to point out in case you didn't notice that it is refurbished or "reconditioned". My first KA mixer was also refurbished and (knock on wood) has performed pretty well but I have noticed the alignment is off a bit, meaning the blade comes closer to one side that the other and a few times I have had to pull on the bowl and hold it so that it will mix evenly, especially with the beater blade. I spent $170 on mine, granted it wasn't a cute pink one icon_smile.gif but at Sams Club in San Diego I can get a brand new KA Professional for only $269. So it may be a good idea to shop around.

veghed Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 8:24pm
post #7 of 8

Yes, I did notice that it is refurbished. And I do love pink. I also like the retro look. My grandmother's looked almost just like it.

Thanks you guys. Everyone here is so nice and helpful.

veghed Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 9:35pm
post #8 of 8

Bought it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%