What To Do?....customer Issue

Business By cake4baby Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 4:52am by Luffie

cake4baby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake4baby Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 94

Below you will find a cake that I delivered yesterday.

I get a call by the client after her party "it was beautiful, but it was leaning and collapsed" She continued to say That she served it but no one ate it and she didnt think it was cooked through. i asked did she save the cake so I could get a sample? She replied yes she saved me "a slice". She continued on saying she made sure to remove all the supports and cut it very carefully. So I asked did you remove the top tier prior to cutting she did not respond, she said "I was very careful, I never moved it from where it was placed when you delivered it" She went on saying "the icing was sliding off"

I then told her I would come by and pick it up taoday to see what I could do for her after an examination. I have called, but she has not returned a response. I am aware it is "fathers Day" today....

Perhaps her room was too hot? Perhaps someone "bumped" it?
But She obviously served it....so di it collapse was she serving plates of mush?

I dont think the cake was undercooked...I had extra batter that was baked at the same time, I put in the freezer as I normally do with the excess. I unthawed last night after the complaint...The cake I still have is fine.

I was concerned when I booked the appointment....At the consulation she brought me an invitation to see the colors, but then began to complain about how it was all wrong and the lady who did that did it wrong....I thought it was cute, and perhaps she didnt get what she had paid for...how am I to know....She didnt even leave the invite with me she took it...How is that helpful to match the colors 2 weeks away???

Any who It was a 6 in and an 8 in, cup cake topped. Gumpaste #1, Candy Clay Owls & Dots on Sides, RI tiara on top, with 24 cake pop, with free delivery I charged 115.20 for everything.

Should I offer a partial refund? Or Voucher for 1 DZ cupcakes? Or something?
I dont want her to start trashing my name or anything...but I dont know what to beleive either....
LL

93 replies
awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 94

I bet she did try to cut it with the top tier on and then it collapsed. I would definitely want to see what she has left. Hopefully she won't return your call. Let us know if she ever calls back. I think that I might offer a 10% discount on the future order, but not off of this cake, but only after I saw what the cake looked like that she had saved.

SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 94

My bet is she thinks she paid too much for it and she wants some money back. If it was smashed but she still served it makes me think that the guests still ate it too. I say 10% the most on a future order!

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 94

The cake collapsed, the icing was sliding off and it was undercooked? She served it but nobody would eat it. Then she should have all or mostly all of the uneaten cake not the one slice she saved you. You're supposed to trust that all that she claimed went wrong was your fault with only a slice?

She might be out since it's Father's Day. You offered to come pick up the slice and you haven't heard from her. If her complaint is legit and she wants some kind of refund she'll contact you again and have all the uneaten cake or some pictures (I'd want close ups of the undercooked areas if it's none on the saved slice). If not, NO REFUND FOR HER!!!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 94

I have to say that the cake does look like it's leaning in the picture you attached. It's hard to tell with the wonky angle of the picture, but I can see the fondant buckling a bit on the right side of the picture and it looks like the top tier is not centered on the bottom tier. I could see where it could collapse if she tried to cut the top tier while it was still on the cake (which you should be able to do if you have correct supports.

What kind of supports did you have in the bottom tier? You only need about five wooden dowels or straws on a cake that size. Did you put a bunch in that made it like swiss cheese? That can turn a cake into a pile of crumbs.

Did you torte the cake? I always torte. Not only is it prettier when you cut it, but it gives a more even distribution of cake and filling, AND I can always see the center of the cake.

It's covered in fondant, isn't it? I'm not sure what she means by the icing sliding off. Fondant doesn't usually slide anywhere.

I would want to know why no one wanted to eat it before I decided whether to refund any money. If it was undercooked and mushy, then it's understandable. I'd ask her if she took any pictures of the collapse. It was a party. You'd think someone would have had a camera.

AuntieE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieE Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 6:43pm
post #6 of 94

As it was her child's birthday, I'm sure there are pictures. Why don't you ask her to send you some of those pictures, particularly those that were taken at the time the cake was initially cut. This will probably give you a better idea of what really happened.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 7:10pm
post #7 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieE

As it was her child's birthday, I'm sure there are pictures. Why don't you ask her to send you some of those pictures, particularly those that were taken at the time the cake was initially cut. This will probably give you a better idea of what really happened.

That's a good idea...There had to have been a big to-do with the cake cutting since it was a first birthday. Tell her that seeing pictures of what the cake did when it was cut would help you figure out how you want to handle it. If she won't give up the photos I bet she knows that she did something wrong when she was cutting it.

devorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
devorie Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 7:18pm
post #8 of 94

Ruth is correct about the placement and the bulge. I personally cannot tell if the cake is tilted. This being said that woman got away with highway robbery if you only charged her 115.20 for this cake. I don't know what you charge per serving, but you're definitely cheap. It may not be the most sound structure out there, but unless the cake was raw (and how could you possibly stack a cake that's mush?) she does not deserve a refund.

On another note, I don't know about anyone else, but if a make a purchase and the item ends up being a lemon I save the whole damn thing for them to see - not just a slice.

JMHO

cake4baby Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 7:21pm
post #9 of 94

The bottom cake had 5 bubble tea straws to support the top tier.
Then a wood dowel through the center of everything.
Cakes were: Strawberry cup cake, WASC Chocolate version for 6in and a Strawberry 8in
Yes torted, lvl, filled with Crusting BC, and yes covered in fondant.
And yes I was having an few issues with air bubbles on the back right side of the cake and didnt get it totally smoothed out.
And here it is allready close to 100 degrees outside.
I delivered at 10AM , her party wasnt until 3PM

cake4baby Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 10:18pm
post #10 of 94

Well, she just called back to say she unavaliable to meet today.
Now that 1/2 the day has gone by, better late than never right?
At the very least she is willing to email pics. Hopefully I will be able to tell something by what she sends.....

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 10:34pm
post #11 of 94

Please post the pictures. I am dying to see what it looks like.

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 10:47pm
post #12 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by awatterson

Please post the pictures. I am dying to see what it looks like.

Me, too!

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 11:03pm
post #13 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake4baby

Was the cake outside in this kind of heat for 5 hours?

cake4baby Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 11:14pm
post #14 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

Quote:

Was the cake outside in this kind of heat for 5 hours?

I have no idea?
Though that would explain the icing issues she was complaining of.

I delivered to an appartment club house with a pool.
Lots of very large windows all the way arround the room, inside or outside, the sun still could have been an issue.
Could have been a pool party? But I dont know? Guess I will see the pics when she sends them.

She said "never moved the cake" she had me place it on the bar at the clubhouse, didnt even want it on a table as a centerpeice or anything....I find it funny to place a 1 year old on the bar to blow out a candle and smash up a peice of cake.....

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 11:17pm
post #15 of 94

well, if you torted the cake then you seen the inside of the cake. I'm pretty sure you would know if it was raw at that time. I would just explain to her the torting process and let her know that you have seen the inside of the cake, but nice try lady icon_wink.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 11:18pm
post #16 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

I have to say that the cake does look like it's leaning in the picture you attached. It's hard to tell with the wonky angle of the picture, but I can see the fondant buckling a bit on the right side of the picture and it looks like the top tier is not centered on the bottom tier. I could see where it could collapse if she tried to cut the top tier while it was still on the cake (which you should be able to do if you have correct supports.

Ditto. I still can't figure out that if "no one ate it" why she would have saved you only "a slice" icon_confused.gif I ain't buying that icon_wink.gif If it "fell apart" I'd ask what she cut it with. The wrong knife can ruin a perfectly good cake. I always tell my customers to use a sharp knife and to wipe the blade clean between cuts as the cake builds up causing it to "push" thru the cake rather than slice it. I too am anxious to see the photos that she sends to you. Please do post them... thumbs_up.gif

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 12:10am
post #17 of 94
Quote:

She continued on saying she made sure to remove all the supports and cut it very carefully. So I asked did you remove the top tier prior to cutting she did not respond, she said "I was very careful, I never moved it from where it was placed when you delivered it"

I'm a little stuck on this part... how could she have "removed all the supports" w/o taking off the top tier? How could it have collapsed w/o the top tier on it - the pressure would have been removed. There are several holes in her story.

Did she remove the supports and then put the tier back on and THEN try to cut the cake? That would have weakened the bottom tier and possible cause it to collapse.

Along with everyone else I am interested in what you discover.

cake4baby Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 12:13am
post #18 of 94

OMG!

She still hasnt sent pics, but now sent me a text saying she is worried about her guest beacuse her cake pops are not fully cooked either!
As she has just bit into one and it is "uncooked too"

Cake pops are fully cooked, cooled, crumbled, then mixed with BC, sticks inserted, covered in chocolate, then they were frozen....

She is insane!!!!

Everyone has suggested offering her a discount on a future order...I dont think I want to deal with her in the future!!!

nanawannabake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanawannabake Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 12:14am
post #19 of 94

what a pretty cake .... and very clever to put the tiara around the cupcake topped with a candle. Here's a quick story. A lady picked up her cake and loved it. The next day she called me and made some silly complaint. Sometimes their friends will tell them they paid too much for the cake and she then doubts herself. Nothing to do with the cake.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 12:32am
post #20 of 94
Quote:

OMG!

She still hasnt sent pics, but now sent me a text saying she is worried about her guest beacuse her cake pops are not fully cooked either!
As she has just bit into one and it is "uncooked too"

This woman is starting to sound like a nut case. If cake balls have too much icing mixed in, they can be gummy and seem raw. Maybe she just wasn't prepared for how moist they were.

I don't necessarily recommend giving her any refund or discount. If it fell over sitting in an air conditioned environment, then probably. If she let it sit for hours in 100 degree weather in the sun, then DUH, the cake is going to get too soft. Any adult should know that.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:06am
post #21 of 94

I would explain that cake balls are made with fully cooked cake that is crumbled- ZERO possibility of being undercooked. PERIOD. Strike one.

Secondly, explained a torted cake. Again, ZERO possibility of being "raw" or it won't cut to torte. Strike two....

Last, explain that you are not responsible for room condition, heat or movement once delivered. Strike three...

She's gone. thumbsdown.gif

This just sounds like another whiner looking for a a "stimulus check" from you. Sorry- no way....

cake4baby Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:14am
post #22 of 94

It is now 10 and still no photos?....

No proof?

If it is this pressing to keep complaining, but not save but a slice of cake, not be avaliable for me to pic up said slice, and not provide at least photo "evidence" ....

How am I to do anything about her complaint?

I too am thinking she would like me to just give her a refund, at first I was trying give her the option to prove some truth to her story, but thus far nothing....

abeane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abeane Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:23am
post #23 of 94

I'd love to hear what she says when you explain to her that there is no possible way the cake balls could have been undercooked. This sounds like a customer that's not worth the hassle. Let us know how it turns out!

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:37am
post #24 of 94

sounds like she is full of it...can't wait to hear what comes of this ordeal.

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:51am
post #25 of 94

I have to stay on this post just to see her answer and pictures. I can.t wait.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 4:45am
post #26 of 94

Wow, I'm really interested to see the result of this one too! So sorry you are dealing with such an awful customer! icon_confused.gif

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 4:49am
post #27 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by awatterson

I bet she did try to cut it with the top tier on and then it collapsed. I would definitely want to see what she has left. Hopefully she won't return your call. Let us know if she ever calls back. I think that I might offer a 10% discount on the future order, but not off of this cake, but only after I saw what the cake looked like that she had saved.

I agree with awatterson. I would give her a discount on a future order.

Creativebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativebakes Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 4:59am
post #28 of 94

This situation seems shady to me. Most people would be eager to return the product they were disgusted with entirely, not ust one piece. If someone messed up my cake as bad as shes saying you messed up hers, I'd try to get my money back quickly and would return the cake to her. Maybe she didn't feel like it was worth the money.

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 5:03am
post #29 of 94

On second thought after reading that you torted the cake. NOPE, no discount on a future order, no refund, nothing...I really gotta see these pics.

andreamen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreamen1 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 5:44am
post #30 of 94

Didn't you say it was torted so if it was undercooked then you would know!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%