I Threw A Tantrum & My Cakes~

Decorating By Angelfire3 Updated 25 Jun 2010 , 4:58pm by rkei

Angelfire3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelfire3 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 35

Greetings all,
I'm almost embarrassed icon_redface.gif to share my story with you, but I am anyway.

I baked 6 mini pina colada round cakes and tried to stack them so I can make my hubby a mini golf bag cake for Father's day. I made homemade MMF using MM fluff, confectioner's sugar and my KA w/the dough hook icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif Needless to say, I suck! This was my 2nd attempt at making MMF w/2 different methods: (1st time I did it the traditional way w/melted MM in the microwave yada, yada, yada. the 2nd time I used MM Fluff). Both attempts, I failed miserably! icon_cry.gif

I did a crumb-coat and put the cakes in the freezer to harden over night (it was 12 am when I finished baking these 6 cakes). Once they hardened the next morning, I rolled out my MMF I made the day before and attempted to cover my stacked & doweled cakes. The cakes started leaning, although I put wooden skewers (shish kabob type) through them. Which was fine b/c I was planning on putting the "golf bag legs" on the back of the cake once it was done. So, the leaning wasn't a problem.

Well, fast forward, the MMF started tearing horribly, and I got so furious that I picked up that delicious cake and slammed it on my floor. The darn cake didn't explode like I wanted it to, so I pick it up and threw it in the trash. I then proceeded to go into my cake cabinet & drawers and started throwing all of my cake decorating products away and I swore off baking cakes for my family icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

My hubby tried to console me & stop me from throwing everything away and giving up on my hobby. He took all of my cake supplies out the garbage. I just got really frustrated b/c I'm a perfectionist & I really wanted to make this darn golf bag cake for him b/c he loves golf.

I'm just thankful that I had baked 8 cupcakes with the left over batter. Do anyone have any suggestions as to why my cake & fondant was acting retarded?

34 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 35

First of all (HUGS)...sounds like you needed one. Two things were working against you...sounds like the fondant was too thin and the gravity of such a tall cake just pulled it right down and right off. You would need thicker fondant to even stand a chance...and it sounds like maybe your fondant was too thin in consistancy...you may have needed more powdered sugar. Now if there was any heat or humidity mixed into that whole process then you added more fuel for the fire and it doesn't sound like you stood a chance! Very tall cakes are SUCH a challenge.

Cat

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 35

Awww no fun!!!!

I never cover a frozen cake....I cover chilled, but I'd think frozen would be too drastic of a temperature difference.

To do a cylinder shape with fondant, I actually roll it out the length (height) of the cylinder and then wrap it around horizontally. The back will have a seam, but its the back, and you can "caulk" that with royal icing, and smooth it with your finger. Especially with a golf bag you could have easily left a "lip" of fondant sticking up over the top as well.

Don't worry I feel like throwing things too sometimes! (And sometimes I do, but just not when my hubby is looking, because then he gets irritated haha)

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 35

I don't cover a frozen cake because it can settle while thawing as well as cause gas bubbles...not fun. I always bake/freeze/torte/fill/crumbcoat then let the cake come to room temp and settle for AT LEAST 2 hours if not more. And, yes, I have done the strip around a tall cake before and got marginal results due to the heat of the day...the fondant puddled a little bit..however on a golf bag that would have actually added to the leather effect of the bag!

Angelfire3 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 35

Thanks for all of your replies. I don't know why I'm not getting my reply notifications. OK, next time, I'll allow my cake to come to room temp 1st. It was already hot in my house. I was in my sun-room decorating the cake @ the table.

The next time (if there is a next time), I'll wrap the fondant around as suggested. I tried putting it over top and it broke/cracked. I did have to do it in two sections, but it was a FAIL! Thank God, I don't sell my cakes. I just bake for my family. But I still try to do a good job at it.

Did I stack it correctly? I wish I would have had a photo, but I was so disgusted at how my cake looked.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 7:36pm
post #6 of 35

If you had 6 cakes, all 2 inches high, you need a cake board under each 4 inches of cake and at least 2 dowels in the bottom "tier" and in the 2nd "tier", and then a single dowel going thru the entire height of the cylinder.

Crumb coat the cylinder and put in the fridge for at least 15 mins. Roll out a piece of fondant (a good, sturdy fondant!) that is thicker than normal--at least 1/4th inch thick--and, placing the cake cylinder on it's side, roll the fondant and cake together. Overlap the seam a bit and then cut away the extra with a sharp knife. Using crisco on your fingers, blend the seam together as best you can--hide it with a contrasting stripe later.

HTH
Rae

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 7:44pm
post #7 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artese

I got so furious that I picked up that delicious cake and slammed it on my floor. The darn cake didn't explode like I wanted it to,

I'm sorry, but this sentence made me crack up! Isn't it irritating when our dramatic displays of emotion don't turn out like we want them to?

Angelfire3 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 35

Thank you for the tips/advice. I honestly didn't think my 6 mini cakes would give me such a hard time. I think there were like 4 or 5 inch cakes. It was way smaller than the 6 inch cake, bu slightly bigger than a cupcake.

costumeczar, thank you for making me laugh. You are right, it adds fuel to the fire when our dramatic expectations are not met. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I'm still chuckling too.

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 10:19pm
post #9 of 35

My my, can't wait till you hit menopause~

LSW929 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LSW929 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 10:35pm
post #10 of 35

So sorry to hear you had trouble. I have days where the cake and icing doesn't want to co-operate and swear I'll never do another cake, but I always go back to it. It's in my blood! Also sorry the cake didn't explode when it hit the floor, maybe you should have called Duff. He likes to blow up cakes! LOL

Angelfire3 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 10:54pm
post #11 of 35

@vtcake-I have at least another 26 + years for that. But once it hits, watch out!

LSW929, it's OK. I'm sorry that I threw my tantrum & 2ndly, I'm sorry that I didn't just put the store bought fondant on there in the 1st place (I had it on hand too). The cake was good too. I'll try again for my hubby's 29th birthday, which is next Wednesday (6/30).

Let's pray that it comes out right. I'm going to do the golf bag cake OR a golf field cake w/gumpaste figures. I haven't decided yet. Wish me luck~

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:39am
post #12 of 35

For a cake that tall, I'd also use stronger dowels than the little toothpick-thin shish-kabob things. I honestly wouldn't trust those to stack 2 cupcakes together.

Angelfire3 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:44am
post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

For a cake that tall, I'd also use stronger dowels than the little toothpick-thin shish-kabob things. I honestly wouldn't trust those to stack 2 cupcakes together.

LOL! I LOVE YOUR QUOTES! Thank you. I will go out and buy some stronger supports tomorrow. Sometimes, I hate being a perfectionist and other times it's great. Oh well, that's the way the good Lord made me.

Can anyone recommend a great cake stacking instructional dvd? I want to take the Wilton class, but my hubby may get deployed and I don't have a sitter to watch my kiddos while I go to the class that is 50 miles from my home icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:48am
post #14 of 35

Is "perfectionism" a new trend or something? icon_confused.gif This is about the 4th thread I've read TODAY from people who describe themselves as "a perfectionist!"

I only knew of one "perfect" person. It was ...... um ..... oh what was his name..... you know, that one guy? ..... they made a movie about him .... oh yeah!!!!!

JESUS CHRIST!

And ya know what? I ain't Him! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I'm not poking fun (ok....maybe a little!) but I'm just saying stop being so hard on yourself. We all know that no one is perfect, so don't make it hard on yoruself by setting unattainable standards! Just enjoy the process! thumbs_up.gif

88nikki88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
88nikki88 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:17am
post #15 of 35

Hi, I'm VERY new here, and to decorating, but I had to reply. The first 3-4 times I used MMF I had pretty bad results. One thing I have found is that you need to roll it much thicker than you think, because it stretches ALOT when you move it to cover cakes. It thins out as you smooth it. I probably only roll it to about 3/4" thick before transferring it.

I roll it out extra thick for ball and cylinder shapes (at LEAST 2"), and kind of lift it and set it over my fist to let it stretch it into that shape a bit. Then I transfer it to the crumb-coated cake and smooth it down. You get much less tearing that way.

Just my experience, but I used to get a lot of tearing too and I had to speak up, I SO know the feeling of frustration! You can look at my pics, I think I'm getting much better at it! HTH icon_smile.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:19am
post #16 of 35
Quote:

Is "perfectionism" a new trend or something? icon_confused.gif This is about the 4th thread I've read TODAY from people who describe themselves as "a perfectionist!"

I only knew of one "perfect" person. It was ...... um ..... oh what was his name..... you know, that one guy? ..... they made a movie about him .... oh yeah!!!!!

JESUS CHRIST!

I'm not poking fun (ok....maybe a little!) but I'm just saying stop being so hard on yourself. We all know that no one is perfect, so don't make it hard on yoruself by setting unattainable standards! Just enjoy the process! thumbs_up.gif

or as I remind:

perfect only exists in one place: Heaven -- and I'm not ready to pay the entrance requirement yet: death!

we strive to be PROfessionals -- which mean PROficient which comes from lots and lots of PRACTICE

soo......Practice makes proficient and makes you a professional.

Meowcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meowcakes Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:33am
post #17 of 35

I enjoyed you story, though I know it was a vent, but it still made me laugh. I'm only chiming in cause I had to say that I also use MMF and I role it thin. I DO NOT suggest rolling it thick. It is heavy. I roll it out 1/8 of an inch. No problems.

Angelfire3 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:44am
post #18 of 35
Quote:

JESUS CHRIST!

I know, I know. You're so right. That's my weak point. Everyone that knows me says that about me & I know I'm that way,even though I know that no one is perfect but Christ. But Since I'm a Christian, I strive to be Christ-like. I just wanted a nice & pretty cake for my hunny-bunny. Knowing he will love/like anything I make.

88nikki88, thank you for replying & sharing your experiences with MMF. I will check out your photos after I submit this post. Why is MMF so darn temperamental? Mines tore a lot. I didn't know that was normal. Next time, IF it is a next time, I will make it in advance & roll it out thicker. I was treating MMF like regular store bought fondant--rolling it to 1/4 inch.

88nikki88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
88nikki88 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 4:20pm
post #19 of 35

It doesn't stay thick on the cake though, it stretches some while moving it, and then more when smoothing. I start smoothing at the top center and then smooth down the sides and it ends up probably about 1/8" thick. I might be doing it wrong though, I'm still learning.

My other thought is that if I notice little tears in the fondant while kneading it, I knead in a tiny amount of water at a time until it can be kneaded without those little tears. I just wanted to help, as it was SO frustrating at first, and now it's getting easier. Good luck with your next one!

Angelfire3 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 4:48pm
post #20 of 35

Dough & meowcakes, I'm sorry I didn't respond. I didn't see your replies last night. icon_sad.gif thank you for your advice and motivations. Dough, I'm not ready to pay that price either, so I'll just settle for being PROficient. I know it won't happen over night, but with practice, I'll get better.

But MMF is the icon_evil.gif & working with it make me icon_mad.gif But I'm stubborn & I will not let MMF defeat me.

88nikki, I will try that as well.

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 4:49pm
post #21 of 35
Quote:

JESUS CHRIST!

Indydebi!!!! I LOVE YOU icon_smile.gif I love reading your replies.ALWAYS bring a smile on my face.God bless you icon_smile.gif
umm Artese.
I am sorry you had such an experience.First off...your honey is very sweet icon_smile.gif lucky girl.
First thing.NEVER put ANYTHING on a frozen cake!!! ALWAYS defrost it while it is still wrapped ,once it comes to room temperature,unwrap it and let the "sweat" dry off...Then you can fill, stack and crumbcoat and ice a cake!
Now anything that has fondant on it...I'd Ganache it...
I can go on and on sharing all that I've learnt...but I think you are getting a lot of information here from all the fabulous experts on CC!!! what a blessing.
However, for the construction of anything that is tall...I'd stack and dowel it as a tiered cake! using bubble tea straws ,foamcore board and dowels, NEVER with a skewer.
Why don't you check out SugarShack's blog...tons of information there!
here is a post on how she constructed a cake and some stuff on Ganache.
http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/story-of-cherry-hog.html
NEVER NEVER GIVE UP and ALWAYS FINISH STRONG!!!! why? read this :p http://teenbatateen.blogspot.com/2009/07/are-you-going-to-finish-strong.html
If you wish feel free to contact me! all the best!
- h

Angelfire3 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 5:41pm
post #22 of 35

Thank you honeyscakes,
I checked out those blogs and subscribed to them icon_smile.gif

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 6:04pm
post #23 of 35

Will your heart break if the cake isn't tall? If you are fairly new to the cake decorating thing, maybe you should first try doing a golf bag laying on its side. Tall cakes are definitely way harder and more likley to cause you to throw them on the floor. Seriously!

Of course, we always learn more via our mistakes rather than through our successes... But if you are a perfectionist and want the cake to be "just so"... maybe you should scale back in the beginning. (?) In a year or two, as your skills solidify, you could go back to try the tall golf bag again.

Angelfire3 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 7:54pm
post #24 of 35

Greetings endymion, thanks for replying. I've been at this hobby for about 2.5 yrs. It's not an every day thing. I just mainly do these for my family b-days & holiday's. I'm a trooper and I like challenges. I won't be able to be good at stacking cakes or making MMF unless I try it.

Nothing beats a failure but a try. So, I'm going to keep trying. Challenges & naysayers are my motivators to succeed in everything that I do. I will not let a mini golf-bag cake defeat me. All the cakes I've made under my albums were my very 1st of those designs.

But I did figure out how to make a sitting puppy/dog cake by my leaning cake. I was just staring at it and said, "the way this cake is leaning looks like a dog's body sitting up. Hmp." icon_wink.gif

endymion Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 9:21pm
post #25 of 35

Good luck and I hope everything works out well the next time! I hope you did not think I meant to imply that your skills weren't up to the challenge, or that I was being a "naysayer". Sure didn't mean to come across that way!

I just thought I read somewhere in the thread that you were very new at cake decorating (obviously mis-read that, sorry!) and I thought I'd suggest a lower-stress alternative (cause it sounded like you were getting pretty stressed!) icon_smile.gif

Angelfire3 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 9:29pm
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by endymion

Good luck and I hope everything works out well the next time! I hope you did not think I meant to imply that your skills weren't up to the challenge, or that I was being a "naysayer". Sure didn't mean to come across that way!

I just thought I read somewhere in the thread that you were very new at cake decorating (obviously mis-read that, sorry!) and I thought I'd suggest a lower-stress alternative (cause it sounded like you were getting pretty stressed!) icon_smile.gif

Oh No, I wasn't thinking that about you at all. I was just telling you how I am as a person & that I use everything as motivation to succeed, including my failures. I do, on the other hand, have folks around me that know of my hobby & are always finding negative things to say about it or challenging me in other ways.

Yeah, you can say I'm kind of new at this. Although I've had this hobby for 2.5 years, I'm still very inexperienced at it & there are tons of things that I do not know. I don't do this often. Just on special occasions and such. I thought doing a mini golf bag cake would be a lot easier than doing a full-sized golf bag cake. Yes, I was stressed out about it b/c it wasn't coming out as I wanted it to.

Also, how would I make a laying-down golf bag cake as you suggested? Just cute a cake into a rectangle or 1/2-circles and work from there?

MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 9:40pm
post #27 of 35
Quote:

That was very educational and inspirational for me, thank you very much.

endymion Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 9:41pm
post #28 of 35

I am thinking you could just cut the circular cakes in half (and would then only have to bake half as many cakes icon_wink.gif ). It would also be easier to cover with fondant and it wouldn't be able to fall over.

You could also stack up a couple of rectangles and sculpt a laying-down bag out of those... but that is sounding kinda stressful again if you have never sculpted before.

teresa61625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teresa61625 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 9:58pm
post #29 of 35

Wow Doug, you hit 10,000 posts!!! Sorry that was off subject..icon_smile.gif

Angelfire3 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 10:03pm
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by endymion

I am thinking you could just cut the circular cakes in half (and would then only have to bake half as many cakes icon_wink.gif ). It would also be easier to cover with fondant and it wouldn't be able to fall over.

You could also stack up a couple of rectangles and sculpt a laying-down bag out of those... but that is sounding kinda stressful again if you have never sculpted before.

I haven't tried sculpting yet. I have a hard enough time trying to trim the edges on the cake. If you consider cutting a 1/2 circle from a cake (my purse cakes) or cutting them in half (spiderman cake) as sculpting, then that is about as much sculpting I've done thus far.

I'll figure out something for my hubby b-day~

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%