How Do I Decorate Ice Cream Cone Cc With A Swirly Look?

Baking By Sterretje Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 2:22pm by Sterretje

Sterretje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sterretje Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone,

For an upcoming event I would like to make ice cream cone cupcakes and I would very much like to decorate them with a nice swirly look. I have found some recipe's for a nice fluffy frosting which you can 'swirl' on top, but they all use (raw) egg whites and I'm not keen on using that. I have also found some recipe's using buttercream (which you could even give a nice colour) but buttercream is not very popular with kids around here and as it is an outdoor event on a summer day, that might not work out so well. I would definately prefer using fondant, but does anyone have tips on how to best give fondant a swirly look? All other decorating tips are helpful too!
Also I was planning on filling up the cups with candy, than put a cc on top and decorate it, but I read on the forum that some of you have excellent experience with baking the cupcakes right into the icecream cones (just puting the batter in) so I might try that as well. If you put a cc on top of the cone (first baking it separately) what do you use to make the cc stick in the cone? Does buttercream make the icecream cone go all soft and soggy? I wonder?

Thanx so much in advance to anyone who would like to share some tips!

5 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 6

There are instructions online to bake cupcakes in cones, its really easy! I'm not sure how full you fill them, you have to look that up. But yeah really popular with kids.

Use a very large star tip to make a pretty swirl on the top. Start in the center of the cake and generously swirl out into a circle and then up to make another half round, ending back in the center. (I have some cupcakes with a topsy turvy cake I just loaded with what I'm talking about.)

Egg whites are fine in meringue, and usually you end up cooking them a little bit enough to kill anything there...its safe.

You could use a stabilized whipped cream on them too!

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 6

Hi Sterretje

Heres a videos on attaching cupcakes to candy filled cones. I can't help you with the fondant really as I usually ice my cupcakes with buttercream. Maybe wrap the fondant around a thin layer of buttercream?

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 6

What about a cooked frosting? The kind that goes with old fashioned red velvet cake. If you do a quick google search for cooked or boiled froosting or red velvet cake, you find lots of recipes for the frosting.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 6

Joyfull,
Thanks for that link. The woman in the video (Liv Hansen) is one of the authors of The Whimsical Bakehouse books, and co-owner of the Riviera Bakehouse. I love their books, expecially The House Buttercream recipe.

Sterretje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sterretje Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:22pm
post #6 of 6

Thanx everyone for your replies and tips!
I had never even heard of cooked frosting! Amazing tip Joyful4444 !
If I were to use buttercream or the meringue type frosting (with the eggwhites), does this survive the heat? It's really hot weather and it's an outside event! Do you have any experience with that?
Thanks again for all your tips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%