When Did You Stop Stressing Over Taste, Looks, Etc.?

Decorating By RebelChick Updated 22 Jun 2010 , 2:57pm by indydebi

RebelChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebelChick Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 22

I'm just starting out and I get so worried that my cake won't taste good (even though I know it does) or if the person will like the look of the cake (even though my family tells me the cake looks good). Does everyone go thru this and will it go away or lessen as I get more experience?

21 replies
tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 22

It might lessen a little, but I still do it some after about 10 years of decorating. On the bright side, our obsessing is why we make a good product!

Christy0722 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy0722 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 22

I always take a small piece of cake that I have cut to level off and and small bit of whatever icing I am using to do a taste test. If it doesn't taste good to me it won't go to the customer. HTH!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 22

the feeling never goes away...but at some point you become confident and the thoughts and feelings go away a little quicker than the time before. If you don't hear anything...it's good news icon_wink.gif

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 11:45pm
post #5 of 22

I think when you stop worrying about the taste and look of the cake it's time to stop doing it - the stress keeps us motivated to do the best job possibleicon_smile.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 11:47pm
post #6 of 22

I can't think of a single cake that I haven't worried about. I am really hard on myself and SOOOO picky about my cakes..even the littlest mark will make me feel like a cake is not good enough. I'm working on it and it helps when I hear back from people that the cake was wonderful. But I don't think it will ever ever go away.

Cat

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 11:53pm
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmysmoother

I think when you stop worrying about the taste and look of the cake it's time to stop doing it - the stress keeps us motivated to do the best job possibleicon_smile.gif

ditto! I worry about evry single one.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 12:22am
post #8 of 22

Well, "worry" in the sense that we want to make sure everything is done properly. Not "worry" in the sense of "omg what if they really really hate this!? icon_surprised.gif "

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 9:44am
post #9 of 22

I have someone coming to pick a cake up in about 1/2 hr and I am at that panicky oh what if they dont like it part so you are not alone

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 4:57pm
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Well, "worry" in the sense that we want to make sure everything is done properly. Not "worry" in the sense of "omg what if they really really hate this!? icon_surprised.gif "

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Yup...exactly. But then, as an event coordinator, I do the same thing...I always worry that it won't be perfect...but what I've found is that the client usually loves everything and doesn't even see the imperfections that have been driving me nuts! LOL! Oh well, keeps me on my toes doing the best job I can.

Cat

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 5:12pm
post #11 of 22

I worry about every petal of every rose I create, as I'm creating it. But that's why customers look at them with amazement and ask how long they will last if they save them...instead of just saying, "oh, cake." and slicing through them like it's, "just frosting."

As everyone has said, reasonable worry keeps you good at your game. Actors, athletes, teachers...the good ones...all feel this way.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 5:14pm
post #12 of 22

you mean one can actually stop worrying about a cake? icon_lol.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 5:45pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyart

It might lessen a little, but I still do it some after about 10 years of decorating. On the bright side, our obsessing is why we make a good product!

Yep that's me too...I'm not as paranoid as I used to be, but I still worry if things aren't just how I want them!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 1:22am
post #14 of 22

Stop?? No. I've gained confidence, but have not stopped being a perfectionist, or from ahving one level of stress or another on each cake. As a matter of fact, I have a cake next weekend for a 40th that I've been anticipating. This person is expecting "bling" and I know that the stress level will will be highest come Thursday. I will not be able to breath calmly until it's delivered.

Sandy

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 1:35am
post #15 of 22

Yes, I've gained confidence with experience, too, and each new cake is a little more fun, but if you ask me when I'll stop worrying about all this stuff, the answer is "in about three more cakes". Seventy-five cakes down the road, the answer will still be "in about three more cakes". Or else I'll be retired or dead.

mfoxx9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfoxx9 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 2:09am
post #16 of 22

It's so funny that you posted this tonight, because I was getting ready to post something asking almost the same thing! I'm also very new, and even though I'm excited that my skills are improving with each cake that I do, and I am continually learning new things through this site (thanks, everyone!) and through trial and error, there is always something on every cake that I wish I would have done differently.

My question is, for those of you with lots of experience, have you ever done a perfect cake? Or is every cake still a learning experience and a chance to build your skills for the next time?

Thanks for your input! It helps so much to have support in my new adventure.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 2:19am
post #17 of 22

I worry about every cake I send out the door. I'm just starting in the wedding business and I'm extremely paranoid about them all. That said, I'm learning to give myself a little bit of grace. I barely charge enough to cover my costs so whatever my customers get is a deal. But I do this because I am still learning so if something isn't as perfect as what I see on here, I remind myself that I did my best and they didn't pay a million dollars. If I charged more I'd never be able to rest. Someday I'll get there icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 6:55am
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfoxx9

My question is, for those of you with lots of experience, have you ever done a perfect cake? Or is every cake still a learning experience and a chance to build your skills for the next time?

Both. I love all of the new things I've tried over the years (most of them, since joining CC!). But each time I complete one, I pretty much stand back, admire it, and proclaim to nobody (since I'm in the shop by myself), "Brim, you're a freakin' genius .... again!!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Perfect? None of us ever think a cake is perfect. We find every little flaw. but over the years I've learned that cake civilians think putting a border on a cake is pretty talented stuff, so what I can do on a wedding cake is gonna wow them no matter what! icon_biggrin.gif

Just keep remembering that .... they have no idea how to do it, so that fact that you can even do the SIMPLE stuff is awe-inspiring to them.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 1:09pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Just keep remembering that .... they have no idea how to do it, so that fact that you can even do the SIMPLE stuff is awe-inspiring to them.

Very true. We are our very worst critics.

I think I will always worry about how mine turn out and my perfectionistic tendencies don't help. I am a hobby baker for friends and family only and so far I have just done something that I wanted to try whether new recipe or decorating technique. I have been disappointed in how some things turned out, but the people who were the recipients....thought they were beautiful.

RebelChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebelChick Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:07am
post #20 of 22

Thank you all! I was thinking it was just me even though when I show people pictures of my cakes, some of them say "Wow, I didn't know you were that good." Um, thanks? I love challenging myself, though, and my husband will tell you I do a lot of talking to myself and I sometimes get irritated if I can't get something right!!!!! One of these days I'll get some of my recent photos up. No time right now!!!!! Too busy making cakes!!!!!

uniquecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uniquecreations Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:49pm
post #21 of 22

I am the same way as I am just starting and every time someone gets a cake I am on pins and needles until I hear from them about how the cake was. I ask my customers to call with feedback on how everything went. I dont just say my cake but I ask how their event as a whole went and then I say so did everyone like the cake? and so far I have not got a no yet only the cake was delicious. so I don't think I will ever get to the point that I don't "worry" about a cake that goes out the door.

indydebi Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:57pm
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquecreations

I ask my customers to call with feedback on how everything went.

I understand wanting feedback but be careful in how you approach this. As a client, if I felt I "had" to call the cake lady on every little cake I bought, I would find it aggrevating and go somewhere else.

"Yeah, it's a good cake, but oh my god I just don't have time to feed her ego with every dang birthday we have. Not worth it."

We never know how such a request will be received or interpreted. No news is good news. Believe me, if there's a problem, they WILL call you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%