Icing Colors

Decorating By reneemikulin Updated 19 Jun 2010 , 3:18pm by Mamatoboys

reneemikulin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reneemikulin Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 5

I always have trouble getting Red to be red and Black to be black. Is there a brand of color that is best to use. I usually use Wilton paste or gel. I have never used an entire bottle but have come close- without achieving color bold enough. I have always hoped there would be guidelines reguarding how much coloring to use. Thank you in advance.

4 replies
KimLynnC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimLynnC Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 5

Those colors are very hard to acheive. You can go buy some pre colored icing, maybe the kind in the tube, use that as a base color and add it to your batch of icing. Then just keep adding the red or black gel color to the batch. This way you won't be using as much of the gel so it will taste better and won't get too thing or anything.

LittleFox09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleFox09 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 2:59pm
post #3 of 5

Im still very new to decorating but the one and only time Ive made red icing I used the precolored decorating tube and an entire thing on no taste red plus some regular red to get the color I wanted. They are just hard colors to achieve. Good luck!

NerdyGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NerdyGirl Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 5

To make black, start with chocolate buttercream. As for red, I'm still trying to figure that out!

Mamatoboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamatoboys Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 5

I use Americolor when making red or black icing. It works very well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%