Need A Start To Finish Tutorial(S)

Decorating By veghed Updated 19 Jun 2010 , 11:14pm by veghed

veghed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veghed Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 3:30am
post #1 of 17

Hello,

I would like a start to finish tutorial that starts with the baking of a cake so that it appears like a perfect cylinder.

Then the gum paste.

Last the fondant.

And anything that would be helpful in between.

I am very new at this.

Thanks.

16 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 3:51am
post #2 of 17

Welcome to CC. I don't know of any tutorials for cylinder cakes. I would think that all the same size round cakes stacked high would give you a cylinder. You can try youtube they have lots of tutorials.

I'm confused about the rest of your questions. Are you asking for steps on how to decorate this type of cake? If you want the recipes for gumpaste and fondant click on the recipe then just type in what your looking for in the search box.

If your looking for a delicious buttercream recipe, check out Indydebi's crisco bc and sugarshacks bc.

If you keep reading the how do I and the cake decorating forums a lot of your questions may be answered in others posts. So many times I start to ask a question but I read the new posts first and someone already asked what I wanted to know. HTH

veghed Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 3:59am
post #3 of 17

By a perfect cylider, I meant a cake that has a flat top like professional, fondant covered cakes do.

I am so new here I don't even how to ask my questions, really.

I did do a search on how to bake a cake, but didn't find what I wanted.

I want to learn how to make a professional-looking, fondant covered cake. I just don't even know where to go from here.

Thanks

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 10:56am
post #4 of 17

Go to youtube and look up tonedna1. She has videos on just about anything you need to get started.

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 3:21pm
post #5 of 17

I have done this for a cylinder cake

I saved large size chili can (washing and sterilizing, not the #10 size, the large economy size you can find in the grocery)

Bake a sheet cake, use the can as a cutter and stack and ice the cut layers...easy peasy

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 17

you can also check out Rose Levy Beranbaums site...she is the author of the cake bible and has free videos on her site

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/

verisimilitude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verisimilitude Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 3:55pm
post #7 of 17

Cakes are usually domed when they come out of the oven. The professional cakes that look perfectly cylindrical are flat on top because the dome has been trimmed off (and often the cake is flipped over, so the perfectly flat bottom becomes the top).

I think it'd be wise to focus on first learning the basics of how to bake a cake, before jumping in the deep end and attempting to bake, ice and decorate an entire cake. Rome wasn't built in a day and all that icon_wink.gif

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:01pm
post #8 of 17

Hi ~ WELCOME to CC!!!
The first thing I would do is just take a basic course in cake decorating.
Most hobby/craft stores offer Wilton courses. Then go from there.
Good luck & happy decorating!!! icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:24pm
post #9 of 17

I don't know how big you need the cylinder to be, but you could make several 6 x 2 cakes and stack them. Then crumb coat and cover with fondant.

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:27pm
post #10 of 17
PDXSweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PDXSweetTreats Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:28pm
post #11 of 17

Hi, Veghed -- and welcome to CC!

Here's a link to a post provided by one of our members: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=654103&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Rylan is an accomplished decorator (understatement of the year! LOL ), and he generously put together this list for CC members. He also has another list of tutorials, which I'll put in a second post (don't know how to link them together yet).

Anyway, HTH and best wishes! icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:28pm
post #12 of 17

Here's a tutorial for a bubblegum machine cake, perhaps it will help with some of the techniques you need: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=669953&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

PDXSweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PDXSweetTreats Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:34pm
post #13 of 17

Okay, the first link was for icing a cake, covering w/fondant, etc., as well as other contributions from CC members. This link has to do with tutorials on figure making, etc.:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-672099-.html

If you can't find what you're looking for in one of these, trying Googling your exact inquiry, e.g., "How to level a cake" or "how to ice a cake" -- something along those lines. You should be able to come up with quite a few tutorials or discussions that will help. In addition, keep an eye on the "cake decorating" section here, as many of your questions will probably be asked by others.

Good luck and happy decorating! icon_smile.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:41pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by veghed

Hello,

I would like a start to finish tutorial that starts with the baking of a cake so that it appears like a perfect cylinder.

Then the gum paste.

Last the fondant.

And anything that would be helpful in between.

I am very new at this.

Thanks.

As a relative newbie to cake decorating, everything I learned initially was by observing the bakers at a bakery that I worked for a year ago. Before that I was totally clueless and my cakes looked it. I can tell you what I learned there to start. First, bake your cake (I'm assuming you know how to do that part!) . Next, after baking let it cool in the pan. Cut off the dome like the other CC'er mentioned. Take it out of the pan, wrap it in cling wrap and freeze it or refrigerate it. Make your butter cream (mine is 8 ounces of butter, 8 ounces of cream cheese and 2 lbs of Powdered Sugar) Take your cold cake out, and if you want to tort your layer (cut it in half to make thin layers) do it now. Put a blob of icing on your cake board to secure your bottom layer and put it on the board. Put a dam around the top of your bottom layer and fill with whatever filling you want...or just use buttercream. Put your next layer on and repeat the process. Depending on how many layers you have, you might want to stick a dowel rod or bubble straws to make sure your cake doesn't slide. When all the layers are on (making sure that you use the flat side as the top) put a crumb coat of icing on. It's easier to do when the cake is cold so if you need to refrigerate it again for a few minutes do so. Once you have a thin crumb coat on refrigerate again so as to set up the crust on the BC. Hopefully you are using an angled spatula to spread on your BC--makes it easier. Now then, I personally do what I learned at the bakery, but everyone does things their own way so it's up to you. I start smoothing my butter cream on in layers until I can't see cake anymore. I refrigerate between layers to again let the BC set up before applying more. Any color that I want to use I put on the last 2 layers so that the entire cake isn't coated in say, solid red or blue icing. Smoothing is a technique that is practice, practice, practice. And you can learn a LOT here about the various ways to do that including the Viva towel method, the Melvira sponge roller method and others. Once you have your buttercream on you can layer with fondant, but that's something I have no experience with so I defer to the experts here and there are plenty of tutorials on how to do that. I use gum paste for elements on cakes that will likely not be eaten like butterfllies or figures and such. I use fondant for things like polka dots, stripes, whatever decor that is on the cake that stands the possibility of getting consumed. Gum paste dries harder much faster than fondant depending upon thickness. Fondant tastes better. You can make your own...look for recipes here. OK...that's it in a nutshell for my method, but I learned so much more on this site from others that I would suggest you experiment with a few cakes to get what works for you. good luck! thumbs_up.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 9:52pm
post #15 of 17

Welcome to CC!

What you're looking for is ALL here on CC, somewhere. To use this marvelous resource properly, I'd suggest doing nothing but reading threads for at least a week. Just scroll thru the tutorials found in the "Articles" section, and then thru the threads, picking and choosing the ones that seem most pertinent, or just reading anything and everything.

What you're asking for is information and knowledge that has been gathered, practiced, and honed by many members over many hours and in some cases at great cost in multiple decorating classes.

If they're available to you, look into the Wilton classes taught at Michael's, JoAnn, and Hobby Lobby. They're inexpensive and you'll learn a lot just by being in class with other, like minded people.

HTH
Rae

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 10:30pm
post #16 of 17

If you want tutorials sugarshack has DVD's on everything you are looking for. www.sugaredproductions.com

veghed Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 11:14pm
post #17 of 17

Thanks you all!

I figured out some of the jargon that I should have been saying.

When I said "gum paste" I actually meant the layer of icing between the fondant and the cake.

And I finally found in my internet travels that the perfect cylinder look that I was trying to get was "leveling."

I will take your (collective) advice and take a class and look around more on this website for more info.

(I'm so ADD...I want to know everything NOW)

Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%