Entering Cake(S) For Ices Cake Shack - Help!

Decorating By Apti Updated 21 Jun 2010 , 10:05pm by TexasSugar

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 12:26am
post #1 of 5

Hello all - newbie here. I live in San Diego and will be attending ICES and found out I can put 1 or more cakes in the Cake Shack!! How cool! Now I can't sleep for thinking about what to do. My feelings are just to do the very best, if basic, cake(s) I can do. Any suggestions would be wonderfully appreciated.

4 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:35am
post #2 of 5

Well, since it's not a judged show, just have fun with it. Make that design you've always wanted to try.

The display cakes at ICES range from designs similar to what people complete in Wilton courses to OK Sugar Arts Show winners--and everyone enjoys and learns from them.

Rae

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:48am
post #3 of 5

Last year was my first time to attend--and I couldn't believe the wide range of skill levels, variety of ideas, and even number of countries represented. You get to see everything from 4-H projects to sculpted cakes, stringwork, and delicate gum paste flowers.

I agree with blakescakes--Do something you've always wanted to try, and have fun with it! thumbs_up.gif (I wish I lived so close--I have to figure out what I can make and then fly with . . . .) icon_confused.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 2:06pm
post #4 of 5

As was said above you will see all kinds of things in the Cake room at the convention. That is what I love about it.

For me I do cakes that I wouldn't normally get a chance to do. I don't do wedding cakes and only do cakes for friends and family so I don't have alot of need to do tiered cakes, so I usually use the convention as a time to build some tiered cakes with dummies. That way I get to do a 'big' design, with out having to make 3 or 4 times the cake needed for a family event.

This year at the moment I'm considering doing three cakes. Hoping I can get them done in time and how I want to. Guess first I need to order my cake dummies. icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 5

Why in the world was this placed in the cake decorating contest forum? It isn't about a contest at all?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%