Cake Board Ideas To Match This Cake?

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 19 Jun 2010 , 9:48pm by confectionsofahousewife

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a cake very similar to this one for Sunday. I have procrastinated getting the cake board ready because I just don't have any good ideas. I don't want to just cover it in white or black fondant. I want to add something else to it. I can't do fabric because I don't have any and really don't have time to get some between now and then. Does anyone have any ideas. The cake is going to look pretty much as pictured except there will be a dark red peony in place of the black rose. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
LL

6 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 7

how about just doing the white board but with a black edge, not on the side of the board but about 1" on the very edge. It seems to me that it jsut disappears the way it is but if you can edge it that would be better.
Or how about black stripes like the top tier.

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 10:17pm
post #3 of 7

Pick up on the peony theme and use red fondant! It would be beautiful contrast! Or imprint a design with a may onto white fondant, and then arrange it in a billowy soft way around your cake, like cloth loosely folded around your cake (think tissue paper).

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 7

Personally, I agree with sweetcakes. The cake is elegant but very "busy". A simple border with black ribbon around base or on top edge would be a nice finishing touch.

MamaScooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaScooby Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 7

I would do the outline in red instead of black so that it would stand out and still look elegant and not busy. It would be too much black

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 7

Looking at the cake, I think adding a "busy" board to it will detract from the cake and make it lose it's classy look.

If I were doing the cake, I'd most likely keep it white with a piece of black ribbon around the edge. If I really felt that color was in order, perhaps a red board to match the peony with a black ribbon.

JMHO
Rae

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all your ideas! I went with a white board with a black, frill cut fondant ribbon around the edge. I forgot to mention that the bottom tier will have a frill cut fondant ribbon around the top edge. I think it looks nice. I haven't finished decorating the cake yet but I think it will complement it well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%