Using Melted Chocolate As A "glue?"

Decorating By GabbyRM Updated 19 Jun 2010 , 2:14am by Polkadot79

GabbyRM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GabbyRM Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 8

I often read posts or see videos where decorators explain that they use melted chocolate to "glue" either decorations or certain parts of the cake together. How? Do you just pour it on? Pipe it? Use a brush?

7 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 8

Depends on how much I need. I have used a toothpick and a brush before. It dries faster than royal icing which is another good glue option. It could also be piped on...just depends on the amount needed.

Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 8

I use it all the time for attaching decorations especially gumpaste that are already hardened and set. I melt a few candy melts (whatever color works best with your design) in a small bowl in the microwave. Then, I dab a bit on the back with the tip of a spatula and attach to the cake. This works with fondant on fondant/gumpaste. I wouldn't think it works with buttercream. I always use water to attach to buttercream.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 8

I pipe it, but a brush would work also.
Pouring it on might get a little messy. icon_smile.gif

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 8

For the large bows on my ivory cake with brown bows in my pics I used a piping bag to attach the gumpaste bows to each other with melted chocolate. Held together really good.

GabbyRM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GabbyRM Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 8

I've been using piping gel or icing to attach decorations, but I thought I'd try melted chocolate for things that I really need to hold well onto my fondant.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:32am
post #7 of 8

Gabby...since piping gel never "sets", I think you will like how the chocolate works! Good luck.

Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 2:14am
post #8 of 8

Another thing...I ususally pop the decoration in the freezer if it's something like a # or letter topper that I've attached toothpicks to it with the candy melts. Dries so fast!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%