How To Get Dark Color For Outlines?

Decorating By gvmcakes Updated 28 Jun 2010 , 1:07am by kimmy37

gvmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gvmcakes Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,
I'm from germany and there is no chance to get black food color (powder/liquid/gel).
I'm planning to do a frozen buttercream transfer of dora for my little girl's birthday... and i need a dark brown coloring for the borders or outlines.

The brown food coloring is not dark enough, and too much changes the texture of the icing. And i tried adding cocoa powder and it was not dark either.

Then i tried with dark chocolate. But it sets inside the icing cone before i am done with the full outline.

Could you pls help me out with ur ideas. I did read a lot of articles/ topics on this, but it was of scope for me as i cannot get the black food coloring or gel.

Thanks in advance !

5 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvmcakes

Then i tried with dark chocolate. But it sets inside the icing cone before i am done with the full outline.

You could try using two small bags/cones, and leave one on a heating pad to keep it warm and from setting while using the other one. Just keep switching back and forth between the two bags as one starts to set.

gvmcakes Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 6

Yeah, that is a good idea too ! Thanks.
Could you pls give me a good ratio of chocolate to butter to have the right consistency for drawing the ouline , without running?

Or any other ingredients i would have to add other than chocolate and butter?

And is it a good idea to try royal icing for the outlines?

Thanks !

kimmy37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmy37 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 6

would it get dark enough if you used chocolate buttercream and added more brown? I wonder if adding blue and red would make it almost black. ????

gvmcakes Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 6

Hi Kimmy,
I did try mixing the dark blue and deep red.. but it was more of dark purple !!

Could you give me a good chocolate buttercream recipe? I havent tried it yet and not sure if i can start experimenting now !! Would be good if i can get a tried and tested recipe !!... thanks!

kimmy37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmy37 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 1:07am
post #6 of 6

I use the one on the wilton.com website. It's yummy. Here it is:

1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup cocoa or three 1 oz. unsweetened chocolate squares, melted
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
3-4 tablespoons milk
Makes: About 3 cups of icing.

instructions
Stiff Consistency: In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add cocoa and vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%