Airbrush Advice Please

Decorating By multilayered Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 1:17pm by Kiddiekakes

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:52pm
post #1 of 2

Well today is the first time I am going to use my airbrush. I am making a guitar cake and I need the colors to blend from dark brown/black to medium/light brown. I know to cover EVERYTHING in my room (because the color travels) but if there are there any tips you could give me I would appreciate iticon_smile.gif I really want this cake to be fantasticicon_smile.gifTIA

1 reply
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 1:17pm
post #2 of 2

Here is what I learned from trial and error....If you are trying to cover a large area then you want to use a sweeping motion back and forth for even coverage.To control over spray turn the PSI down and get closer to the cake..The farther away you pull the gun back and the higher the PSI and the spray goes everwhere.Spray the darker color first in the case of the guitar because even if the brown oversprays on to the black it won't distort the color.If you were doing a lighter background Like yellow..I have heard you do that first even though I haven't had much luck but I am finding that PSI and closeness to the cake is key!!I did a Camo cake yesterday and turned the PSI on really low and got quite close...It took longer but there is no overspray anywhere.I did have to go back and go over it as some of the color looked blotchy but in the end it looked really good.There are some really good airbrush tutorials on the web and You tube..You should check it out!You should play with it a bit before trying it out on a cake as it takes alot of time to get the right feel.I have had mine for 5 years now and use it all the time for almost every cake...and I am still frustrated some days!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%