All U Cake Pros ... :)

Baking By nastassia Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 12:40am by nastassia

nastassia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nastassia Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 14

so I've tried the WASC recipe and the orange dreamsicle recipes, only problem I have is that it is sooo moist that its like sticky on top and bottom of the cake, what am I doing wrong?

I was wondering if I have to make modifications b/c I'm in a higher altitude? I have to make another cake tomorrow for my lil nephew, the dreamsicly one, and I don't want it sticky icon_sad.gif

TYIA!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

13 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 14

I cut the liquid by 1/2 to 1 cup.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 14

High altitude definitely makes a difference...

For scratch baking at the very basic level you need to:
Reduce leavening by 1/4 for each teaspoon
Reduce sugar by 2 tbs per each cup
Increase liquid by 2 tbs per each cup

For a WASC or doctored cake mix follow the high altitude directions on the box and proceed from there.

Where I live I am 6300 ft. It can be very difficult to bake at high altitudes. Even with adjustments I've found that some recipes simply don't come out right but those are usually scratch; you should be fine with the WASC once you adjust accordingly. Good luck!

Elcee Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 14

Oh, I really should add that I am SO NOT a pro but I have been baking at high altitude for years icon_lol.gif

nastassia Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 1:46am
post #5 of 14

whats leavening? and omg it matters by the difference in tbsp?

also another question is your changes say to increase the liquid and reduce the dry ingredients, won't it make it more sticky? I guess I'm gonna try reducing the liquid by 1/2 as it says in the other suggestion? but does that mean reducing the sour cream too?

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 1:56am
post #6 of 14

i always have my top a little sticky...but I'm not in high altitude.

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 1:58am
post #7 of 14

Not sure about the high altitude, but I use the WASC recipe all the time. Mine are always sticky on the top, but when I level it, I have the most moist cake with a fantastic texture - it's not sticky on the inside. Have you leveled it yet? If so and you still have trouble, I would add 1/4 cup additional flour to the mix.

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 2:01am
post #8 of 14

I also live at a high altitude. I've found if I the cut the sugar in half, the WASC cake isn't as "gummy" in texture. HTH

Elcee Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 2:22pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nastassia

whats leavening? and omg it matters by the difference in tbsp?

also another question is your changes say to increase the liquid and reduce the dry ingredients, won't it make it more sticky? I guess I'm gonna try reducing the liquid by 1/2 as it says in the other suggestion? but does that mean reducing the sour cream too?

Leavening is baking soda or baking powder and yes, it definitely matters by the 1/4 tsp! icon_smile.gif Forget everything I posted about baking from scratch, including reducing the sugar and increasing the liquid.

When I make a doctored cake mix I do the following:
Add 1/4 cup of flour to the cake mix; add your cup of flour; measure your cup of sugar and then REMOVE 2 tablespoons of it before adding it to your cake mix; follow instructions on the package re: liquid EXCEPT add a tablespoon of liquid (if the liquid is oil and water, I add oil); follow instructions on package re: eggs and add 1 more (DH mixes call for 3 eggs, use 4); add the full 8 oz of sour cream.

A little stickiness is not that bad, though icon_smile.gif.

nastassia Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:11pm
post #10 of 14

ok thanks everyone! icon_smile.gif lol I thought it was only my cakes that came out a lil sticky on top lol so what do you all do with the cupcakes with a lil stickiness? just leave it and frost them?

makes me feel soo much better though icon_smile.gif I thought I was doing something wrong lol

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:15pm
post #11 of 14

yes, my cupcakes get a little sticky too and I just frost over them...actually, if you don't cover them and leave them out for like an hour before you frost them the stickiness subsides icon_smile.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:35pm
post #12 of 14

I love the sticky tops! I cut it out and save it!...icon_lol.gif Its my favorite part of the cake.
Edna

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:50pm
post #13 of 14

just baked the WASC cake (usually i am strickly a scratch baker) and it was sticky on the top, but like melmar02 stated, after you level it=no more sticky! i also covered mine with saran wrap (x2) and froze to harden up, then removed and defrosted, the sticky part came off with the saran wrap=no worries! but the sticky tops do taste delicious!!

nastassia Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 12:40am
post #14 of 14

thank you everyone icon_smile.gif

and btw Edna love your cakes and videos! icon_smile.gif I seen a few of them on youtube and also used your method to make lillies. Thanks so much! icon_smile.gif thats how I made my first wedding cake icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif it was actually so easy with that method icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%