Gluten Free Scratch Recipe

Baking By momma28 Updated 22 Jun 2010 , 12:50am by elliespartycake

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 4

I am looking for a really fantastic gluten free chocolate cake recipe. Is it possible to get a nice texture?

3 replies
elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 11:32pm
post #2 of 4

I've used a chocolate cake recipe from Roben Ryberg's book "You Won't Believe It's Gluten Free". It's a terrific cook book.

This recipe uses Potato Starch Flour (aka potato starch).

For an 8" single layer: 1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2/3 cup milk
1 cup potato starch
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp xanthan gum

Beat oil and sugar, beat in eggs, Mix in mixer for a couple of minutes until light and thick. Add remaining ingredients. Beat until the batter is blended and begins to thicken. Pour into prepared baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees approx. 40 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.

Note: Roben Ryberg includes the recipe broken down for all wedding cake sized tiers, from 6 inches to 14 inches. I did a a two tier cake (two layers of each size, 6' and 8') for my daughters law school graduation party and it got raves! No one knew it was GF until we told them.

Check out your local library, they'll probably have this book. If not it's available on Amazon.
Hope this helps.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 4

I just found gluten free all purpose flour at the store (is a blend of potato starch, white rice flour, tapioca starch and guar gum. It says you use it as an exact exchange for ap flour. The xanthun gum was so darn expensive so I figured I would try. Do you think I would just use this in place of the potato starch and xanthun gum in your recipe?

Thanks so much for responding.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:50am
post #4 of 4

Sorry momma28, I've been away. If the flour you found says to use it as you would AP flour, then I'd just use it in one of your regular recipes. The recipe I posted, was carefully designed to be used as is. I find that gluten free baking is kind of like a chemistry experiment. The ingredients and different kinds of flours greatly effect taste, texture, moistness, etc. When I find a recipe I like I don't mess with it.
Xanthan gum is expensive, but if you do a lot of GF baking, it's invaluable and lasts a long time.
Also, be sure that your equipment is free on ANY gluten products. Even the
tinest bit of flour or other gluten product can make a Celiac sufferer very sick. I have a mixing, measuring cups/spoons that I only use for GF. I completly wipe down my KA mixer before any GF baking.

Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%