When Mixing Mmf Do You

Baking By Rach80 Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 4:12am by catlharper

Rach80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rach80 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 12

Use the dough hook on your mixer? I'm thinking it will be much easier to clean...

11 replies
luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 12

I do use the dough hook. I spay the bowl, the hook, everything first. I only use part of the powder sugar in my mixer and finish it out on a board with the rest of the sugar. I know some people have said it will burn the motor up on the mixer if you try to do it all in the mixer. I usually don't make a full batch anyway. It does make clean up a litter easier with the hook.

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 12

Hmmmm....I don't use a mixer at all! I've been using my hands to knead everything. I guess the mixer is an easier way to go?

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 12

Well, I'm going to be a real sad sally if/when I burn out my KA motor making fondant, BUT, I always mix my fondant with the dough hook. I have the 6 qt pro and I spray everything with cooking spray first. I let it mix all the p. sugar. LOVE IT! So easy!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria925

Hmmmm....I don't use a mixer at all! I've been using my hands to knead everything. I guess the mixer is an easier way to go?

yes! use a standing mixer with a dough hook to do all the hot and heavy work. once most of your sugar is incorporated, dump it out and finish it by hand. so much for working out those biceps and triceps!

Rach80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rach80 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 12

Thank you all! I'm going to try and make a batch in my mixer this weekend, I have a 6qrt KA so if fondant burns up the motor I would be upset too!

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 12

I guess I am the odd man out. I do not use my KA to make MMF. To me, it is not worth having to clean it up. I just melt the MM and water in a big Pyrex bowl, add the powdered sugar and other ingredients and knead all in the same bowl. When I am done, I fill it with hot soapy water and let everything soak while I wrap the fondant. By then you can wash every thing up and you are all done icon_biggrin.gif Takes me about 30 min to make a batch and do the clean up.

SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:38pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by linedancer

I guess I am the odd man out. I do not use my KA to make MMF. To me, it is not worth having to clean it up. I just melt the MM and water in a big Pyrex bowl, add the powdered sugar and other ingredients and knead all in the same bowl. When I am done, I fill it with hot soapy water and let everything soak while I wrap the fondant. By then you can wash every thing up and you are all done icon_biggrin.gif Takes me about 30 min to make a batch and do the clean up.

I'm with you linedancer!

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:22am
post #9 of 12

SPCC, good now I don't feel so lonely icon_lol.gif

lilyankee5688 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyankee5688 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:40am
post #10 of 12

I havent made MMF in my KA yet, but I have made Rolled Buttercream, which is the same consistency..

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 1:00am
post #11 of 12

I have made many batches in a single bowl and can do it pretty well..but~
Just made my first batch in my new KA....and loved it! so quick, easy clean up(Just melt MM in a well greased bowl, they slide right out into the greased KA bowl), great consistancy (seemed smoother). Actually I kept adding more PS thinking it cant be done yet?...and it was. Almost added too much!.
I'm gonna use my KA from now on, get every pennies worth out of it.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:12am
post #12 of 12

I don't use my mixer...I use my hands. It's easier to make sure I get the right consistancy in the end. Can't do that in a mixer. Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%