Ganache Questions

Decorating By Pickulz Updated 21 Jun 2010 , 2:40pm by iris219

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 20

Ive looked up so many threads on Ganache...that I think im now confused...

I want to try ganache under MMF.
I will use dark chocolate with heavy cream in a 2:1 ratio...
So I boil the cream and pour over the chocolate and whisk?

Now do I leave it on the counter overnight? Or in the fridge?

And the next day I spread it on the cake?
I want to then put MMF on it...should I lightly spray with water to adhere the MMF?

Thanks!

19 replies
Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 20

Stir constantly, until it comes to a boil, then pour over and whisk.

Either on the counter overnight, or if you need it faster, in the fridge, but it will still take a few hours to cool in the fridge. But do not cover it.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickulz

Ive looked up so many threads on Ganache...that I think im now confused...

I want to try ganache under MMF.
I will use dark chocolate with heavy cream in a 2:1 ratio...
So I boil the cream and pour over the chocolate and whisk?

Now do I leave it on the counter overnight? Or in the fridge?

And the next day I spread it on the cake?
I want to then put MMF on it...should I lightly spray with water to adhere the MMF?

Thanks!

I use the 2:1 ratio, and add 2 tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons butter (not margarine) to the cream. Bring to boil pour over chocolate, let sit for 5 minutes the stir until chocolate is melted and shiny. I leave mine at room temp. overnight then spread on my cake and smooth using the hot knife method. I cover mine but wait until it's cooled so that condensations doesn't form on cover because water will ruin your ganache. I don't whisk mine I just stir until blended. It has whipping cream in it. Unless you want "whipped" ganache I wouldn't use a whisk.

Karen421 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 20

Yeah, I didn't mean whisk to whip it - I just meant to stir. It is just easier for me to use a whisk to get it all melted. (sorry)

Try this website:

http://www.artandappetite.com/2009/11/ganache-instead-of-buttercream/

mamawrobin Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

Yeah, I didn't mean whisk to whip it - I just meant to stir. It is just easier for me to use a whisk to get it all melted. (sorry)

Try this website:

http://www.artandappetite.com/2009/11/ganache-instead-of-buttercream/

icon_lol.gif Just in case she misunderstood thumbs_up.gif Wasn't trying to say you were wrong or anything icon_wink.gif

Pickulz Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 20

Thanks so much!!!
Also after I apply the ganache to the cake, how long do I need to wait before applying MMF?
Can I do it all at the same time?

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 20

I'm a newbie, but just wanted to add that I made the ganache, and after it was cooled to room temp, I put it in my food processor and whipped it. it was so smooth and easy to spread. It still firmed up nicely, though. Loved it!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 10:20am
post #9 of 20

I did this last weekend for a wedding cake. I prepared the ganache the day before I needed to decorate the cakes and let it sit at room temp overnight. I used 24 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips, 14 ounces heavy cream and a dash of vanilla. It was perfect. Frosted the cakes and smoothed with a hot knife and placed in the fridge to set up. I needed to ganache to set up quickly thats why I put the cake in the fridge. I made a simple syrup one part sugar and one part water in a saucepan and let it cool. I did add a drop of vanilla to the syrup. I brushed a light layer of syrup over the ganche and covered with fondant. Have fun you will love using ganache under fondant.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 10:39am
post #10 of 20

make ganache on day one, let set up on counter overnight, day 2 cover cake with ganache, let set up overnight on counter, day 3 cover cake with fondant (you can use a small amount of water on cake before you put on fondant to make it stick)

Pickulz Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 10:45am
post #11 of 20

Thanks everyone...I have bought my ingredients and will make my ganache this weekend!!

Thanks pattycakesnj !!!Will follow this timeline!!!

mamawrobin Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 1:26pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickulz

Thanks everyone...I have bought my ingredients and will make my ganache this weekend!!

Thanks pattycakesnj !!!Will follow this timeline!!!

I suggest that you watch Planet Cake's tutorial on youtube "how to cover a cake with fondant". It's a great method for covering your cake.

Pickulz Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:57am
post #13 of 20

So I made the ganache...and i dont think it turned out right..
it seems too moist...like if i were to put it on a cake the fondant will 'slip' off...

Now that i think about it..i used a dark chocolate with 60% cocoa...shud i have used a 85% one?
Anything i can do now...use it as a filling perhaps?
Or refegeriate it ?

Pickulz Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 5:07am
post #14 of 20

Can you please post the link to the planet cake youtube video..i cant seem to find it

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 11:29am
post #15 of 20

Hi Pickulz - Don't give up on your ganache. It should be *about* the consistency of peanut butter when you put it on the cake (I prefer it slightly softer, but that's just me). Once you get it on the cake, it will set up even firmer, and the fondant won't slide off.

Is your ganache actually still kind of soupy? I know the warmer it is in my kitchen, the longer it takes my ganache to set up. Might this be your problem? I once tried waiting it out when my kitchen couldn't seem to get below 78 degrees, but had to admit defeat when it hadn't set up and remained soupy almost 24 hours later... I had to put it in the fridge a few minutes at a time until it set up.

Be careful taking the fridge route though. If you leave it in too long, you'll end up having to microwave it in 10-second intervals until it reaches a spreadable consistency. HTH!

Karen421 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 11:29am
post #16 of 20

It takes a long time for it to set up. Either overnight on the counter or a few hours in the fridge. I'll try and find the video for you.

Karen421 Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 11:35am
post #17 of 20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We26gwKS_tw&feature=channel

This shows how to put on the fondant over ganache, but not the ganache itself.

Pickulz Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:41pm
post #18 of 20

Thanks Thanks!!!!
My ganache actually turned out ok...Im quite pleased...It just seemed that since it was spreadable consistency the fondant wouldnt adhere...but after i spread the gnaache on it somewhat hardened...and it became almost flawless after i did the hot knife method and smoothed it out!!

Thanks everyone!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 1:56pm
post #19 of 20

Thanks for posting that video Karen!! icon_biggrin.gif

iris219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris219 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 2:40pm
post #20 of 20

I need to make a cake for Saturday and have a lot of cooking to do as well for Saturday.

So I was thinking of making the cake on Thursday night filling it and make the ganache and leave overnight and then cover the cake with Fondant & decorate on Friday morning. Will the cake still be ok left out for more than 24 hrs?

It's starting to get really hot here and the humidity is getting up there. Weather for Thursday to Saturday states it's going to be 85 degrees with humidity @ around 70% but knowing the weather people when it gets closer to the day the temperature goes up alot more than when they predict today.

Any suggestions on this?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%