Smbc Under Fondant

Decorating By PeggyMichel Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 2:59pm by Toptier

PeggyMichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PeggyMichel Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 4

How does SMBC do as a crumb coat under fondant for a summer outdoor wedding? Has anyone had the SMBC melt under the fondant? I usually have no problems at all with indoor weddings, but I have an order for an outdoor event, and I am a bit concerned. Thanks for your input!

3 replies
luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 4

Yeah, as the butter warms up, it can cause problems. If the crumb coat is thin, it's not too bad, but a full layer can make the fondant slide around. I would recommend using the SMBC as filling, but use a stiff ganache under the fondant.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 4

I did one for a sweet friend of the family recently and it was ok outside. It was in April and it was up up up on the shaded roof of a building downtown at 7PM--I delivered at 6 on purpose to buy more time to be safe--there was a powerful view of the mighty Mississippi from there and it was awesome!--but it was like in the 70's. There was a pool up there and they floated candles and white roses left over from the cake--it was a stunning setting and they were a beautiful sweet couple.

So butter starts melting like 85 and is freely flowing by like 90 so...I would not do an outside one here in June.

I got one coming up in September though for outside--my son's!!!

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 4

What Luddroth said - use it as a filling, should be ok, but use ganache (white or dark) and fondant on the outside.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%