Help! My First Time Working With Gumpaste And Fondant!

Decorating By jenniferjo Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 1:15am by jenniferjo

jenniferjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniferjo Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 6

I have not taken the fondant class yet but need to make a sawblade and other tools for my carpenter dad's 75 b-day cake. Which should I use--gumpaste or fondant?

How do I color them?

Any tips on working with gumpaste or fondant is much appreciated!! Please help.

5 replies
Joybeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joybeth Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 6

It really depends on how hard they need to be or how quick you want them to dry. I like to mix my gumpaste and fondant 50/50. I think it is best to color the fondant then make the objects. That way you don't have to paint them which can get messy. At least get the basic color already molded into it. You can brush on some pearl dust or whatever to make it shiny later. I would use whatever colors you have on hand. I use wilton's. I'm assuming you are using the gel colors. Never use the liquid walmart stuff, makes everything runny and its hard to get the right color. Hope this helps somewhat! Good luck!

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 6

For something stiff like a saw blade and with those serrated edges, gumpaste will be stronger, harder, and make sharper lines. The downside is that it dries very quickly so you have to work faster. The 50/50 mix gives you more time to fuss. Agree that the color should go in first with powders or liquid colors to add detail, textures or shine later.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:56pm
post #4 of 6

If you are making items for the cake that won't necessarily be eaten, go with gum paste. It dries faster, you can get it really thin and it dries very hard. Color your gum paste like you would fondant. I've personally found that Ameri-colors are more vibrant and I use less with them. But I've used Wilton too. You can paint gum paste as well. Keep in mind that gum paste will dry quickly the thinner it is. I prefer it when making anything like bows or flowers. I also use pre-made gum paste from Wilton. Many people on here make their own or mix gum paste with fondant, but I prefer the already made variety. I use fondant for things like polka dots or decor on a cake that may be eaten. I haven't covered a cake with fondant yet so all my experience with it has been decor only. It takes longer to dry but that may be a good thing depending on what you're doing. You'll get plenty of good advice from others on here so this was my two cents worth! Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

Joybeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joybeth Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:54pm
post #5 of 6

Thumbs up to the above cakers!

jenniferjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniferjo Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 1:15am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for all the great advice!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%