Satin Ice...in The Trash

Decorating By tiggerjo Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 5:54pm by 4realLaLa

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:44pm
post #1 of 31

thought I was buying something great. hate it, hate it, hate it!!!! worst crap I have ever worked with. give me wilton anyday

30 replies
kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:49pm
post #2 of 31

Seriously? I bought red and black SI because those colors are a b*tch to make and I really like them.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:01pm
post #3 of 31

I always use red and black Satin Ice 'cause I don't want to make them. never had any problems. I only use fondant for decor not covering entire cakes so I can't speak on that experience! Sorry you had problems! Satin Ice does tend to be a softer fondant and I only use Wilton for dummy cakes.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:14pm
post #4 of 31

I've never had problems with Satin Ice and I am an infrequent user of fondant.

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:15pm
post #5 of 31

Don't fret... the first time I used satin ice, I was also not happy...only because I was rolling them too thin and I couldn't handle it the same way as Wilton fondant...but what I love about it is, you can buy the colored ones and not fret about making them. Satin Ice is a lot softer than the Wilton brand, and I think it taste much better than Wilton...no offense to those who like Wilton. Give it another try...

I recently bought a 2lb bucket and I may have rolled it a little thin again, but it was on purpose because I didn't want to mix blue in it, so I had to make do with what I had on hand.

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:44pm
post #6 of 31

maybe it was too thin. i was only doing letters and circles. DH suggested rolling and freezing before trying to cut out. i colored it myself. will try again tonight

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:45pm
post #7 of 31

Aww - that's too bad....maybe try it again? I buy it in 20lb buckets - use it on all of my fondant cakes and love it! What were you having trouble with specifically?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:28pm
post #8 of 31

I use satin ice, I roll it pretty thin, and for this fondant newbie it was pretty easy to work with. I even told hubby, "It's almost like working with plastic .... easy to roll even, never tears on me." And like I said, I roll it pretty thin because I dont' like the play-doh look of thick fondant.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:30pm
post #9 of 31

I love SatinIce, especially the pre-colored SI. Never a problem. I wouldn't even dream of coloring white fondant to a red or black.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:45pm
post #10 of 31

Well, if you add much color, it will become sticky unless you also add some cornstarch. Did you use cornstarch on the surface you were cutting on? And on the cutters? Toba Garrett says "roll on shortening, cut on cornstarch." What was the problem you had? Sticking? Breaking? Rough edges?

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:19pm
post #11 of 31

I also use SI- I'm a hobby baker. I love it. I buy it for red and black only and they rock!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:22pm
post #12 of 31

I hate Satin Ice white. I love Satin Ice pre-colored. Sometimes the pre-colored is a little soft, so I'll knead in a little tylose the day before using.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:33pm
post #13 of 31

I use SI all the time with very little problems. Did you add a lot of color? If you did, it will be sticky and very soft. Just roll in a little sugar or cornstarch. Sometimes I have to let it sit and "rest" after coloring it with a lot of color.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:36pm
post #14 of 31

I absolutely hate Satin Ice fondant. Try Fondarific brand. It is awesome! It tastes good, is very easy to work with, doesn't dry out like Satin Ice and doesn't have that nasty smell Satin Ice has.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:36pm
post #15 of 31

I agree. I would never serve Wilton to anyone. It tastes nasty! Its great for beginners because its so stiff and if you have never used anything else then going to a Satin Ice brand might give you some problems. You can roll it 1/8th of an inch thick. Use a mat with corn starch on it so it doesnt stick and then flip it onto the cake once rolled out. You wont have any problems with it cracking, tearing or tasting bad. Lots of brides that Ive had that didnt want fondant because they thought it was going to taste nasty, end up liking it.

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:44pm
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerjo

thought I was buying something great. hate it, hate it, hate it!!!! worst crap I have ever worked with. give me wilton anyday

I'm with you, I have been making my own MMF, even coloring black ok. I decided to buy some SI for Grad cakes to have extra black on hand. My black takes a while to get a true black. Well..... it dried out very fast, maybe i'm not quick enough, but I never have that prob with mine. It cracked on the cake and looked dry. I wound up putting a big ribbon around it. My pics the pink 3 tier. the other 2 where ok,,,my MMF. Noe I did get it on a blk and green cake alot better, but still too stressful.
I also have some white SI, I just used some to make little animal figures, pandas....and had a strange texture. Too elastic, i guess, hard to handle left prints and arms wouldnt stay on, out of all my figures, SI was the hardest to work with.
I'm glad it works for others, but my MMF is ALOT cheaper, tastier, and easier to work with.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:50pm
post #17 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I hate white. I love pre-colored.

That's me too! The white is way too soft & gets the elephant skin so fast. I rarely use fondant to actually cover a cake so Wilton is perfect for the decor IMHO. But I do use SI for red, black & purple.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:00pm
post #18 of 31

If you color it dark, you definitely need to add powdered sugar and/or cornstarch and shortening. otherwise, it gets too soft and stretchy and it tears. I also recommend Fondarific. I try to always keep red and black on hand now because I use so much of it and it's easier to buy it than make it. Yes, I have made black and red many times from white fondant but I REALLY don't like to do it.

Creativebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativebakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:02pm
post #19 of 31

I've heard about Satin Ice and by the looks of it alot of people use it. The question is.. Is it easier to use than MFF (I just made it for the first time yesterday and it tasted great, much better than Wilton) and does it taste better. If so, where can I buy some? My sister is getting married in October and has asked me to make her cake. I'm a fondant newbie so I'm kind of freaking out.

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:02pm
post #20 of 31

I've only used SI once. I found that I loved the taste, but hated working with it. I managed to cover the first cake with it, but it doesn't re-roll very well at all...dries out far too quickly and I consider myself fairly quick at covering cakes.

Anyway... I'll stick to my homemade or maybe I'll try Fondarific.

SandyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandyS Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:30pm
post #21 of 31

I'm a Fondarific addict just got another shipment yesterday. I love to work with it and the buttercream is awesome - customers like it also. The fruit flavors are great also but can't imagine covering a entire cake in it so use it for decorations. It is pricey so I was thinking of trying SI since they have buttercream now but after reading this thread not so sure.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:47pm
post #22 of 31

I love SI and never have a problem with it. It tastes very good and is priced well. Fondarific is harder to roll and very pricey.

cai0311 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 5:23pm
post #23 of 31

I think the exact opposite as Kimmers971. I have used Satin Ice a couple of times, and each time my husband has had to roll out the fondant because I am not strong enough. With Fondarific, I can roll out large pieces on my own.

Fondarific is pricy. I use it for covering the cake and little stuff here and there. If the fondant is for decoration only I use Wilton.

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 5:35pm
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cai0311

I absolutely hate fondant. Try Fondarific brand. It is awesome! It tastes good, is very easy to work with, doesn't dry out like and doesn't have that nasty smell has.

I recently purchased some Fondarific ( hot pink) and it does taste good. Usually I only use fondant (Wilton) for embellishments but I want to learn to use it to cover my cakes. My problem is... it was soooooooo soft. it was a mess, maybe I kneaded it too much. It was pulling out of shape when I tried covering the cake. Any advice??

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 5:39pm
post #25 of 31

I add tylose to SI for decorations that need more stiffness, letters, flowers, etc. I need to try Fonderific, a lot of people seem to like it.

I can't seem to get Wilton fondant home from the store without it going rancid, maybe it's just my store. Definitely not a fan of Wilton's fondant, it's just nasty every time I try it.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 8:42pm
post #26 of 31

I use SI most of the time and I love it.
I roll on a piece of vinyl with a smear of shortening.
I NEVER flip my fondant over.
I don't have drying out problems.
If I add a lot of color and it gets sticky, I set it aside (covered) and wait awhile until I start to knead it again.

If I get a batch of SI that's overly soft or sticky, I mix in 1/3 Wilton fondant. Works like a charm. I get the workability of the Wilton with the great taste of the SI.

HTH
Rae

Creativebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativebakes Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 2:22am
post #27 of 31

Which one tastes better: Satin Ice, MFF, or MMF? icon_confused.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 2:34am
post #28 of 31

I like FondX for covering cakes (softer, a bit more elastic, tastes good, dries slower) but Satin Ice works better for making pieces due to its quick drying ability.

I've had problems with Satin Ice for covering cakes lately so I've switched to FondX for that, and I find it tastes much better too.

Just had to knead quite a bit of color into FondX today to make orange, and the color made it way too soft and it didn't cover the cake very nicely...so will have to think about what to do in the future for a colored fondant...I do still like the Satin Ice chocolate (although it tastes nasty) and the precolored.

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 2:48am
post #29 of 31

Fondant is like any other product, it is not all the same. You need to find what works for you.

I buy hundreds of pounds of Satin Ice.
I love it! It works great for me and my customers eat it up!!!!!

I also love Choco-pan fondant for their yummy white chocolate and they have a caramel flavor that drives me crazy.

cai0311 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 3:49pm
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Quote:

I recently purchased some Fondarific ( hot pink) and it does taste good. Usually I only use fondant (Wilton) for embellishments but I want to learn to use it to cover my cakes. My problem is... it was soooooooo soft. it was a mess, maybe I kneaded it too much. It was pulling out of shape when I tried covering the cake. Any advice??

Fondarific does get very soft if handled too much. I would suggest either no kneading the fondant as much or once rolled out let it sit for about 5-10 minutes before you pick it to cover your cake.

I like to roll out my fondant then roll it around my rolling pin and unroll onto the cake. It never stretches out by doing this method.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%