Lemon Cake

Baking By Eva2 Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 12:56pm by JGMB

Eva2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eva2 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 9:29am
post #1 of 5

I am looking for a lemon cake recipe, it is going to be stacked with fondant on it so it needs to be sturdy. Thank you, Eva

4 replies
Hollandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollandy Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 10:07am
post #2 of 5

I will be stalking this post as I want a sturdy lemon cake (not mix) recipe too!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 10:51am
post #3 of 5

Google lemon victoria sponge, it's what I use, and is great.
xx

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 11:19am
post #4 of 5

Well it really doesn't matter which recipe you use, because cake doesn't support cake. You can use any recipe you want, because if you're stacking you should have internal supports (dowels, bubble tea straws, SPS) which support the cake.

I tried this recipe a few weeks ago-it's a pound cake recipe so I baked it in a bundt pan, but it would be awesome as a party cake too. Check it out:

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Extra-Moist-Lemon-Sour-Cream-and-Vanilla-Pound-Cake-94496

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:56pm
post #5 of 5

This is the one I always use. It's delicious!!

Lemon Layer Cake
(from The Old-Fashioned Baking Book by Jim Fobel)

2 ½ cups sifted cake flour
2 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
8 Tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
2 tsp. grated lemon zest (I used fresh, not dried)
1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
½ cup milk
½ cup fresh lemon juice

1.  Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375. Grease and flour two 8 round cake pans, tapping out the excess flour.

2.  In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the sifted cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

3.  In a large bowl, combine the butter and lemon zest; with an electric mixer, beat until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the sugar. Beat in the eggs one at a time and then beat until light, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in about ¼ of the dry ingredients and then all of the milk. Beat in the remaining dry ingredients alternately with the lemon juice, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.

4.  Divide between the prepared pans and smooth the top of the batter with a spatula. Bake about 25 minutes, until the tops spring back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pans on a rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edges to loosen from the pans and turn the layers out on a rack. Cool to room temperature.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%