Has Anyone Tried These Wilton Pillow Pans?

Decorating By tesso Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 4:04am by leily

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:57am
post #1 of 7

Hubby is wanting to buy me these pans.. but I wanted to check with you guys to see if any of you have tried them... are they worth the price.. do you have any other suggestions.. or pans that you would recommend instead? TIA

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=2105-0575

6 replies
LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:08am
post #2 of 7

I dont know about them. I dont like the way they look anyway. I know my Wilton instructor is going to get them. She is pretty much the type who uses what she likes even if it isnt Wilton so I dont know if that helps any or not.

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:22am
post #3 of 7

I've been wondering about these pans too. Wilton is really hyping that pillow cake. But I think their pans are overpriced and they underperform in my opinion so I'm not buying them.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:48am
post #4 of 7

I looked at them pretty seriously at Michael's yesterday--50% off coupon in hand..............

What I noticed is that there are a lot of shallow areas in the pans. My personal experience with pans with depths and shallows--the Wilton book pan, to be exact--is that I don't like the results--AT ALL.

The only cake I've had someone call "dry" was a cake made in the book pan. I'm certain that she ate one of the corners--where the pan is quite shallow--because I leveled that thing and the cake from the center was moist and delicious.

I now carve books. I'll never use the pan again.

After turning the pillow pans package over and over again, I kept hearing, "It was pretty, but the corners were.............DRY!!!!!"

If I ever get a request for a pillow cake..........I'll carve it.

JMHO
Rae

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:54am
post #5 of 7

thanks blakes.. that is what I was needing to know. I was afraid of that too. I figured carving would be a PITA and was just being lazy..(sigh) looks like it's back to the ole carving knife for me. Thanks for the info !! much appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:59am
post #6 of 7

personally i don't see how they are going to provide a good cake. The edges are going to cook so much faster than the middle (even with a heating core) that they will probably be over cooked and possibly dry.

Have you looked at the tutorial for a pillow cake? It doesn't take much carving of a square cake to get a pillow shape.

You might want to suggest he buy you a good brand of square pans that you can then use for multiple cakes.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:04am
post #7 of 7

guess i wasn't quick enough, to many windows open at one time icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%