Steps Necessary To Open An Inhome Bakery

Business By rodiva Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 12:57am by rodiva

rodiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rodiva Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 22

Hi everybody,

This is my first post on the forum, hope someone can help me...I want to open a cake decorating business at home and I would like to know what paper you need from the city or how much are the taxes per month or anything related to the subject...basically the legal way to do that.

Thank you

21 replies
Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 22

I would start with your local health department. Forgot to mention to check out the business forum on here for other advice.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:26am
post #3 of 22

Oh, honey--if you're for real and not a troll (sorry yah never know) read this http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-684365.html and head for the hills ~ some of these chicks are all about bashing neophytes.

Good luck one way or another!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:25am
post #4 of 22

I agree with Kellbella and call your local health department. They can give you this information for your area. I took a look at you photos and your cakes are awesome. thumbs_up.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:35am
post #5 of 22

It really depends on what state you live in. There are very few states that allow you to have a home based baking business. What state are you located in?

rodiva Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 22

thank you for your answers, I live in CA, Whittier I will try to call the local health department

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodiva

thank you for your answers, I live in CA, Whittier I will try to call the local health department

Not sure but I don't think CA allows home baking.

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 8:21pm
post #8 of 22

Step one call the hd if your allowed...
step 2 take the servesafe course
step 3 get a business license and go from there.

In my state & county your not allowed to cook in your house for sales.

I had to build a seperate building at a conserderible cost to do this legally. It gets expensive with yearly insurance costs and checks they come out yearly to take photos. Then the 6 mo hd inspections, electric and water also gets added in.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 8:22pm
post #9 of 22

CA does NOT allowed home based baking.

rodiva Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 9:21pm
post #10 of 22

thank you, I really appreciate your help...I'll just stick to make them for friends and family then

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 9:33pm
post #11 of 22

If you love love love making cakes, perhaps you can rent a commercial kitchen. I hear the fee for this is considerable. But, if you want to sell larger, more expensive cakes, paying this rental fee may be worth it. Just pad your pricing to cover the rental fee.

I'm not sure if they charge by the hour, per month....or what. But, it never hurts to ask. I'm sure you'd need your own insurance and such. But, if you have 4 tier cakes a month at hundreds of dollars each. You'd still get to bake for a profit AND professionally.

Just a thought....

rodiva Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 10:33pm
post #12 of 22

thank you for the hint

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 7:49pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodiva

thank you for the hint

Rodiva - not sure what you have decided to do- but I just looked at your cakes and I sure hope you decide to go into business. You have a serious talent.

I heard that some churches have kitchens you can rent? Do NOT give up!

rodiva Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 5:57pm
post #14 of 22

thank you for your suggestion, I haven't really thought about that...

I was looking for something from home since I have a 1 year old baby to stay with...

thanks anyway

rodiva Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:22am
post #15 of 22

Can you please let me know what is the procedure with sugar cookies decorated with royal icing? do you need an authorization to sell those too?

Thank you

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:32am
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bye--love_yall

Oh, honey--if you're for real and not a troll (sorry yah never know) read this http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-684365.html and head for the hills ~ some of these chicks are all about bashing neophytes.

Wow, that's no way to introduce someone to the site! Way too negative! I'm new and certainly haven't seen any "newbie bashing." Just had to say that. OP, the rules are going to be the same no matter what you are baking. Rather than even looking at renting your own kitchen space, look into "shared kitchen space". I know there are some in my area, and that way all the health licensing is taken care of, all you need to do is probably submit ingredient lists. And, understanding where you are coming from with a little one, the great thing about these places is that hours are usually flexible. I know one in my area is 24 hours, as long as you schedule your time, so you can come in when is best for you.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:33am
post #17 of 22

Yes. The rules apply to all home baking.

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:49am
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bskinne

Quote:

Wow, that's no way to introduce someone to the site! Way too negative! I'm new and certainly haven't seen any "newbie bashing." Just had to say that. OP, the rules are going to be the same no matter what you are baking. Rather than even looking at renting your own kitchen space, look into "shared kitchen space". I know there are some in my area, and that way all the health licensing is taken care of, all you need to do is probably submit ingredient lists. And, understanding where you are coming from with a little one, the great thing about these places is that hours are usually flexible. I know one in my area is 24 hours, as long as you schedule your time, so you can come in when is best for you.

I agree...not so nice! She is new to cake decorating and to CC, inform her of the proper place to post, but do it nicely.

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:25am
post #19 of 22

Rodiva: hate to tell you this but CA does NOT allow home baking. It is a STATE law and applies everywhere in CA. You can check your county website and it will refer to the CA code.

I do have a friend in the State Assembly and I plan on discussing this very issue with her. They allow those lunch trucks everywhere but no home baking! Seems like they could allow it with some rules/regs.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 4:15pm
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bskinne

Quote:

This is just K8Memphis coming back even though she said that she was done with this site because of the negativity. Contrary to what you may believe, the business owners here are very happy to encourage people to get legal. It sounds like it might be hard for the OP to rent a kitchen because of the baby, I know that slowed me down a lot when I had little ones. Maybe you can start looking into it now, then when the baby is a little older you'll have all your ducks in a row as far as the legalities of it are concerned.

carrywilsonhome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrywilsonhome Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 5:26pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:

Assume you are a woman, but such a haggy thing to say. Welcome to Cakecentral most say?

rodiva Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 12:57am
post #22 of 22

ok, I'd thought so...I was just wondering seeing so many websites out there selling cookies...thank you all

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%