Edible Glue - Strongest?

Decorating By mariemakescakes Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 5:51pm by BlakesCakes

mariemakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariemakescakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 11:16pm
post #1 of 7

I may be trying to do a sailboat cake for my sons birthday this weekend and would like to attach the sail to a wooden dowel that will be sticking up out of the boat.

The sail will be made out of gumpaste so I would like to try and use an edible glue and wondered what would be the best to use in this situation.

Thanks! Also, hello I am new to this site...so much to read and look at icon_smile.gif

6 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 7

If I were attaching dried gum paste to wood, I'd use melted white candy melts or white choclate.

Rae

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:56am
post #3 of 7

If it as hot in TX as it is in FL and you are going to be outdoors, the candy melts or white chocolate will melt. If it is staying indoors, you would be ok with the chocolate. Ask how I know about chocolate melting in the heat icon_lol.gif

madge1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madge1 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:47am
post #4 of 7

what about the tylose powder I've been reading about- they use much in Australia...I think you mix with water and cook to a certain temp and supposed to be very strong?? May want to read about it more--Global sugar art carries it I think...

BlakesCakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:53am
post #5 of 7

I make gum glue using tylose--I just sprinkle some tylose over hot water, put a lid on it, and shake it up. It improves as it sits.

I'm leary of it with wood (dowels) because the wood is pretty smooth. The glue works well with something that can get "sticky" when you apply it--like gum paste or fondant.

I suppose if the dowel were covered with gum paste and allowed to dry........of course, you lose the wood effect of a mast............but brown gum paste could work. I think I'd wrap the sail onto itself if I did that...........

Let us know what you decide to do!
Rae

mariemakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariemakescakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 4:20am
post #6 of 7

I was going for a white mast anyways, so I decided to use some gum tex (didn't have any tylose available) and water and wrap the dowel with the fondant.

I had to move my deadline up so right now I have the sails drying with a fan on them. Really doubt they will dry in time, but crossing my fingers. Also hoping the glue will be strong enough to hold the sails up tomorrow when I glue them to the mast.

BlakesCakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 5:51pm
post #7 of 7

To spead up drying, you can put the wrapped dowels on cookie sheet lined with parchment in the oven or microwave with just the light on in the appliance.

I have also "baked" my items on the lowest setting of my oven, 170F, keeping a close eye on them. It takes no more than an hour to get the paste hard.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%