3D Graduation Cap... Questions

Decorating By Heavenlydelights107 Updated 16 Jun 2010 , 7:32pm by Heavenlydelights107

Heavenlydelights107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heavenlydelights107 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 7

SO I am going to make a 3D grad cap for Saturday. My plan is to cover a cake board in fondant for the top and make the bottom of cake. Do you think that baking cake in a bowl would give it a good looking base? I am thinking either my small batter bowl from Pampered Chef or a small stainless steel bowl.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

6 replies
mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 7

When I made my graduation cap (still haven't uploaded any of my pics yet) I just stacked two 8s and cut them using a slight angle. I prefer this over the bowl look, but thats my preference and a bowl will look nice as well. Good luck!

missmikey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmikey Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 7

I used a small pyrex bowl that I covered in fondant and then placed it on a sheet cake with the foam core mortar bd the cap (bowl shape and board) were covered in fondant and the cake buttercream.

CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 7

I just did one also. I too just stacked my round 8" cakes and gave them a slight carving. It gave me enough of a flat surface to put the board for the top too. It traveled well.

cakeladyinri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyinri Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 7

I used the large wonder mold (for doll cakes) worked great top is even flat to put the covered cardboard with tassel

barb419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barb419 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 7

I also used two 8" rounds, carved. For the top a made a big 10 x 10 sugar cookie and let it get hard then iced it.

Heavenlydelights107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heavenlydelights107 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:32pm
post #7 of 7

Good Idea about the cookie!!!! Not sure if I will have time for that. Do you think this would feed 15?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%