Ganache Is Awesome! Updated Question

Decorating By KayMc Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 2:55pm by Awent9

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 17

I have now used ganache on two cakes (under the buttercream frosting). I LOVE having this on a cake. It adds a great layer, keeps in moisture, and presents a nice, firm base for either fondant or buttercream.

I was afraid to make it initially, but it's really quite easy! Thank you to everyone for your recipes and help with this!!! icon_biggrin.gif

ps - How do I store leftover ganache?

16 replies
Dolledupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolledupcakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 17

You have used it under fondant?

KayMc Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 17

I have not used it under an entire covering of fondant, so I wrote that wrong. It was under buttercream for both, but I am aware that others use it under fondant, which is why I included that. It is so nice and firm once it dries, that I am just crazy about using this as a base. It does significantly incease the cost of each cake, though. I got this great Belgian chocolate at the candy store, and used that.

Problem is that I don't know what to do with the unused portion of it now.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

Problem is that I don't know what to do with the unused portion of it now.

Cover it tightly, store it in the fridge for a couple weeks.
Or you can freeze it for months - just thaw it first in the fridge. icon_smile.gif

KayMc Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:34am
post #5 of 17

Thank you! I was hoping I could freeze it! Thanks again!

luvbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbuttercream Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:40am
post #6 of 17

I have used ganache lots as a filling or as an icing or a glaze. I never thought it would be possible to use it under buttercream I am most definitely going to have to try that.

KayMc Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:12am
post #7 of 17

I've read posts here where people use it as their crumb coat under fondant as well. It dries more firm than bc, so you get a smoother fondant apparently. Plus, I think it adds a great flavor to the cake, and seals in the cake moisture. thumbs_up.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 8:50am
post #8 of 17

I tried it for the first time last weekend on a chocolate cake with chocolate fondant. I used two 12 ounce bags of Guittard semi sweet chocolate chips, 14 ounces of heavy cream and a dash of vanilla. It was wonderful. I took everyone's advice and made the ganache leaving it to set up at room temp. The next day I filled and frosted my cake with the ganache. You need to make sure the ganache is completely smooth if you are covering with fondant. I used a hot knife and a metal scraper to smooth the cake and then placed it in the fridge to set up quickly. It was so easy to cover with fondant. The nice thing is if you accidentely touch the ganache you won't mess anything up. Not like when I am working with butter cream and stick my finger in the side and have to fix it. LOL. Later when the cake was served the ganache softened up and melded with the fondant. Will definetely use it again.

CillsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CillsCakes Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 9:05am
post #9 of 17

I use gnache on all my cakes, under buttercream & fondant & love it.

It gives a great finish to everycake & fondant sticks to it with no probles at all.

I rarely decorate without it.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 9:14am
post #10 of 17

I agree! I love ganache too. That is all I use since I discovered using it under fondant.

Awent9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Awent9 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 10:32am
post #11 of 17

Kaymc, what ganache recipe do you use?

KayMc Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:05pm
post #12 of 17

I think they're all basically the same: semi sweet chocolate and heavy cream. Without the recipe in front of me, I think mine was 12 oz chocolate and 1/2 cup heavy cream, 4 Tbsp butter. I also threw in vanilla, though that wasn't in the recipe. I found a recipe specific for white chocolate, and it was almost identical. My guess is the only difference in recipes is the amount of chocolate to cream? I googled ganache and found a billion recipes.

Awent9 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:32pm
post #13 of 17

I think thats about what my recipe is... I was just wondering because I've never had my ganache set up firm... it's always fairly mushy even when refrigerated! Do you leave it at room temp and frost with it just like you would frost with buttercream? This just sounds so delicious, an extra way to make more chocolatey cake mmmmmmmmm

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:35pm
post #14 of 17

Use Rylan's link in the post above -- all you need to know about proportions and method.

Awent9 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:45pm
post #15 of 17

great, thanks!

michiparma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michiparma Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:52pm
post #16 of 17

I would like to add that you should watch which chocolate you use, too.

I've used both Nestle Toll House and Ghirardelli chips. Nestle worked great and hardened, while Ghirardelli stayed soft to the touch.

I could have done something wrong with the Ghirardelli batch but we'll never know. I just know to be careful next time and follow the recipe to a 'T'.

Just wanted to give a heads up!

Awent9 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:55pm
post #17 of 17

good point! i actually usually use store brand at home, and i'm not sure which type we use at work... i will look into that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%