Sams Vs Costco

Decorating By mrsdizney Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 4:39am by CWR41

mrsdizney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsdizney Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 8

Which is better? Pros vs Cons of each? I am looking for a frosting that tastes great and can be used with fondant decorations.

Thanks, Julie D.

7 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 8

I use sam's icing on all of my cakes so you can look at my photos and see what it looks like. It crusts beautifully and works great under fondant and by itself withfondant accents added on top.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 8

I don't know who makes the Costco brand icing, hopefully someone who knows can jump in here.

But Sam's is made by Brill (it just has a Sam's label on it) costco may be the same icing then you can just get the best price since you have the option.

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 8

I could be wrong - but I remember reading that Costco doesn't sell their frosting. We have our membership there, but I've never asked - I usually avoid the bakery section so we don't end up bringing muffins or other not needed sweets home!

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

I don't know who makes the Costco brand icing, hopefully someone who knows can jump in here.

But Sam's is made by Brill (it just has a Sam's label on it) costco may be the same icing then you can just get the best price since you have the option.

But Sams is MUCH cheaper than the Brill I get from a local food service.

CourtneyLS99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneyLS99 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:35pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_confections

I could be wrong - but I remember reading that Costco doesn't sell their frosting. We have our membership there, but I've never asked - I usually avoid the bakery section so we don't end up bringing muffins or other not needed sweets home!

Haha, I know exactly what you mean!! I LOVE their muffins!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:05am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnagardner

Quote:

I imagine it is since sam's buys so much in bulk a year. I was just giving the OP the info i know of. She may find out the costco uses brill icing also so then there are no pros/cons b/c it's the same icing. Then she can go with the best price.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:39am
post #8 of 8
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnagardner

Quote:

I imagine it is since sam's buys so much in bulk a year. I was just giving the OP the info i know of. She may find out the costco uses brill icing also so then there are no pros/cons b/c it's the same icing. Then she can go with the best price.

Are you sure? Uh, the last I knew, Sam's supplier was Dawn. Maybe someone who works at Sam's will chime in here. Brill's products are far superior to what Sam's actually sells, IMO. The Sam's B/C is full of air bubbles, but not Brill... it's beautiful and truly ready-to-useno extra stirring or whipping to make it look smooth because you can see it's already perfect. (Brill's Xtra Smooth is better than Brill's Light 'N Fluffy, but it's usually special order because for some reason the other is what is normally in stock at suppliers.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%