Wilton Cake Bases

Decorating By Tonias_Sweet_Shoppe_09 Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 6:11am by bmoser24

Tonias_Sweet_Shoppe_09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tonias_Sweet_Shoppe_09 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 8

Hi, where do you guys buy your Wilton cake bases? I am talking about the round and square cake bases that are like half an inch thick and are silver in color - NOT the cake circles. They are too thin to support a heavy cake.

I used to buy mine at Walmart - I could get two of them for like $5.99 but they no longer sell them. Need other options. IS there any way you could buy a bulk of them online?

Thanks for any advice!!
Tonia

7 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 8

Michaels only had a small round one in stock last time I checked. I found it funny it was only 6" round but they were so thick it looked a bit silly!

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 8

In NJ, I get them in AC Moore, Michaels and sometimes Party Fair.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 8

I rarely use these types of boards. I buy cardboard cake circles in bulk and tape 3-5 of them together and cover with decorative paper. They're just as strong as the cake drums and much cheaper for me to do it that way.

ohayr639 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ohayr639 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 8

I used to use them but I always seemed to get them wet and couldn't reuse them even if they were covered.

I went to Home Depot and had them cut a wood 2' x 4' x 1/2" into like 6 pieces for me and now I just cover that with either fondant or decorative paper for my bigger cakes. There are circles ones you can buy online as well.

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 9:42pm
post #6 of 8

You can get them in all sizes from Michaels. It depends on their stock .But They usually have all sizes .They restock every friday ,so if you donot find one in the size you want , just ask some to check if they have more on hand ,some times its in the a box on top of the shelves. And you can use your coupons . The Michaels near me is soo good . They now have more stuff then ever.

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:05am
post #7 of 8

I by foamcore board at Dollar Tree for $1, 20x30. Iggoled online and ordred. You can also get @ Walmart for 2.69(yes, better quality, but i'll take cheaper!) I cut to size needed and hot glue 2 together(yes it works fine), cover in fondant, contact paper, foil or ect. and add ribbon to edges. I save scraps double them add to bottom for feet all the way around. This gives room to get fingers under to manuver cake and looks nice too. I wind up spending about $2 for a lg. cake board. Sometimes I get 2 out of 1, $1 board.
look on my pics, the Grad cakes you can see pretty well. The pink cake has scrap book paper and clear contact. Oh...The cake is on a cake round and then put on this board, NOT food safe for contact paper i think. Use tape under!

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 6:11am
post #8 of 8

I by foamcore board at Dollar Tree for $1, 20x30. Iggoled online and ordred. You can also get @ Walmart for 2.69(yes, better quality, but i'll take cheaper!) I cut to size needed and hot glue 2 together(yes it works fine), cover in fondant, contact paper, foil or ect. and add ribbon to edges. I save scraps double them add to bottom for feet all the way around. This gives room to get fingers under to manuver cake and looks nice too. I wind up spending about $2 for a lg. cake board. Sometimes I get 2 out of 1, $1 board.
look on my pics, the Grad cakes you can see pretty well. The pink cake has scrap book paper and clear contact. Oh...The cake is on a cake round and then put on this board, NOT food safe for contact paper i think. Use tape under!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%