What Do You Say When.....

Decorating By AmyCakes2 Updated 16 Jun 2010 , 5:27pm by AmyCakes2

AmyCakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCakes2 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 10

A little gripe here -
What do you say when you give the customer the cakes sizes (6, 8, and two 10" - all two layers), the total servings (112) and they "ok" this cuz not everyone eats cake (their words). THEN only to hear that, after the fact, they'd wished I'd made it a little bigger so that they had more cake left over?????? This even AFTER I SUGGESTED we could go a little bigger.....
I told her that I used the same chart as I always do, and don't feel I was wrong - cuz I went by what THEY said. If they wanted extra cake - they should have ordered bigger. Correct??
I don't have the pic posted yet (forgot my camera) and I apparently spelled his name wrong, even tho I KNOW I checked it....so while THAT mistake was mine, I don't think the serving size is.
What do you all think???

9 replies
cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 10

As long as the customer knew not only how many servings the cake would supply but also the proper way to cut the cake to achieve that many servings, than I would say the shortage fault would be on the customer's end.

I have a bride that ordered a four tier cake to serve 130 people even though she has 150 peple that RSVP acceptance. She asked me if I thought that would be enough cake (she is also have a large cookie table). I told her that going off the numbers ONLY, no, she would not have enough cake. I don't think everyone at weddings eats the cake, or shows up even though they said they would, so a shortage of 20 servings wouldn't be a big deal in my mind. But I emphasized several times that, going off the numbers, I would not be held responsible for a shortage of cake because she knowing ordered a lesser amount.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 10

"I'm so pleased that everyone liked it. I'll make a note that you like to have cake left over, to remind us you want to order a larger size next time."

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

"I'm so pleased that everyone liked it. I'll make a note that you like to have cake left over, to remind us you want to order a larger size next time."

Brilliant!

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

LOL! That is exactly the same response I was thinking of before I read yours. LOL. It seems to me if they wished to have more cake leftover that they must have loved that delicious cake.

AmyCakes2 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:00pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks for the responses. It just kinda cracks me up that even tho they had a little left over, it still wasn't enuf?? But, oh well.....at least they didn't run out!

I generally tell my brides, when we figure out the servings, that it's better to go a little over - incase those cutting it go crazy on the cutting. AND if they have to serve their cake topper due to needing extra pieces, then I'd replace it for free. So far, that hasn't happened. icon_smile.gif

AmyCakes2 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:04pm
post #7 of 10

"It seems to me if they wished to have more cake leftover that they must have loved that delicious cake."

Aw - thanks for changing my perspective of this!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:35pm
post #8 of 10

I'm assuming these are buffet type weddings where cake is just cut and set out on a table, and only those who want some, take some?

Maybe it's a regional thing. But around here, most weddings are sit down, where the waitstaff sets a piece in front of every person, whether they want it or not. So it doesn't so much matter if "not everyone eats cake", they still get a piece. Could this be what happened?

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:39pm
post #9 of 10

You can always send her a nice email saying she could order just a regular round cake from you in one of her wedding flavors if she's still craving cake!

Gotta love the repeat business!

AmyCakes2 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:27pm
post #10 of 10

It wasn't for a wedding, it was a graduation. We just got on the wedding subject! hahaha

The cake was 4 tiers (a stack of drums). I'm not sure how they cut it, but in all the cakes I've ever done, this was a first.....
It's one of those "lesson learned for next time" situations.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%