Potentially Boring 21St Birthday Cake

Decorating By becky4444 Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 3:31pm by becky4444

becky4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky4444 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:42pm
post #1 of 13

Hi all, have had some great inspiration off here so thought I could hopefully tap into your resources even more - (my first post so please be gentle!)

Due to the power of facebook I have been asked to make a 21st birthday cake for a relative of a friend. I have been making cakes properly for about a year now and have taken two evening courses in cake decorating so this is a chance to really showcase my new skills.

I will only be charging her cost for this as I would like to get my name out there. The problem is she has asked for a 2 and a 1, in white fondant with green ribbon around the numbers. That is it.

I am confident in my skills of producing good fondant work so have no issue with that. I just think it will look boring and plain.

Any idea how I can make this look a bit more "showy" as this could be a great door opener to lots of her family?? She is happy for me to do whatever, but it is for a man so can't be too delicate.

12 replies
tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:55pm
post #2 of 13

A 2 and and a 1??? Please elaborate.

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 13

I think she means the number 21 in fondant is all that she has asked for.
Maybe she likes clean and non-fussy?
I would show her some pics of other cakes that you can make as an idea or even find some cute ones in the galleries here and see if she likes something there.

If she still wants "simple" enjoy it...less work for you icon_biggrin.gif

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 13

ohhhhhh- for a 21st birthday!!! Duhhhh

Note to self- drink entire cup of coffee before answering posts!

bethasd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethasd Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:12pm
post #5 of 13

Maybe an interesting border - multi stripes, dots, etc. Maybe one single flower? Tough for a man. Just because you don't do a lot of work doesn't mean it won't be elegant.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:21pm
post #6 of 13

You could use a really cool paper to decorate your cake board and cover with food-safe cello or contact paper.

cookieelf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieelf Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:33pm
post #7 of 13

I feel your pain on this one. I just added one to my photo file Monday that I feel is super boring. They just wanted something they could "cut and eat that tasted good"... It was a 16th birthday cake for twin girls and one is girly, one not so much. Only thing I was told is that they could agree on the color purple. Wasn't even supplied their names so that I could at least write that on there. Told the aunt to keep me in mind for their 18th birthday or HS graduation and each one would get their own cake to suit their individual personalities.

becky4444 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:58pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks so much for your idea Bethasd

I did a lovely elegant 50th wedding anniversary cake last week, i just feel that at a large 21st party a plain cake will look awful.

I might run with the green theme and do stripes up the side of the numbers in different shades of co-ordinating green providing i can bake the numbers high enough.

Havent used number pans before - what is the best way to line the bottoms so the mixture doesn't run out?

thanks so far x

tanstaafl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanstaafl Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:51pm
post #9 of 13

I like the idea of making the ribbon border more interesting with stripes or texture.

Also, I don't know what the number pans look like, but you could also carve the top of the cakes so that the outside border of the number is slightly more raised, I can't find a picture right now to illustrate, but I'll keep looking.

DeeOne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeOne Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 2:59pm
post #10 of 13

you could cover the board in camo colours and use the brick wall or clobe stone impression mat to make impressions around the cake letters.

emjay83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emjay83 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:16pm
post #11 of 13

I would talk more with the person who ordered the cake, and find out a little bit about the tastes and interests of the recipient... Be careful about incorporating patterns without asking (camo might be a risk if he is anti-hunting, lol.) Perhaps he just loves things that are really simple. I think the cake could look very stylish and elegant, especially if you use a bold or bright green that really pops, and make the 21 in a really cool font. I'm sure whatever you choose, he'll love it! Best of luck. icon_smile.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:17pm
post #12 of 13

this is for a girl, right? why not do a black and white zebra cake --or even black polka dots on white with a lime green fondant border with a bow around the base and your green and white 21 on top? Or loopy green bow on top and the 21 on the side...or coming out of the top of the bow on top....actually there's a really cute cake that I saved from another CC'er that you could adapt to fit your needs that I was thinking of when I mentioned polka dots:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1580242.html

Hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

becky4444 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:31pm
post #13 of 13

Just wanted to thank everyone for your input. The cake is in my photos and im pleased with how it turned out. Most importantly, the customer was really happy with it icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks again x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%