Meanings Of Commonly Used References About Cakes

Decorating By jodievt Updated 16 Jun 2010 , 10:19am by PiccoloChellie

jodievt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodievt Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 9:42am
post #1 of 3

hi, i've noticed two things so far about cake decorating and don't know what it means.


Crumb coating I gather is about coating to prevent crumbs? How do I make that?


2 replies
FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 10:17am
post #2 of 3

torte..means that after you level you cake layer by cutting the rounded top off , you then cut that layer into two pieces through the center of the cake resulting in 2 layers the same size.

Crumb coating is spreading a thin layer of butter cream or any icing then alowong that layer to set before adding a full coating of icing . This first Crumb coat seals the cake keeping crumbs from getting inot the final layer of frosting

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 10:19am
post #3 of 3

Torting is when you split a layer of cake in half horizontally, turning it into two layers. You then fill it with whatever filling you want.

A crumb coat is a very thin, even layer of icing applied to the outside of a cake. It's allowed to set up some, and then the final, thick layer of icing is applied over it. The crumb coat holds any cake crumbs in and keeps them from getting into your "outer" layer of icing where they might otherwise be visible.

Hope that helped!

Quote by @%username% on %date%