Fondant For A First Timer??

Baking By kermitncupcake Updated 16 Jun 2010 , 4:26pm by kermitncupcake

kermitncupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kermitncupcake Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:36am
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone.
Im after a faily simple fondant recipe that I can use butter in, instead of shortening, because I cant get any except Copha. Ive only tried fondant once and it was a recipe that calls for Glycerin etc and was very fiddly (melting glycerin and glucose in pot, mixing in extra stuff etc..)
Im looking for one thats a little less fidly, and will do the job with minimal problems.
Thanks, K

9 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:58am
post #2 of 10

if you are new to using fondant, then you are better to buy it. then you are pretty much guarenteed the right texture and consistency. it also means that when you make your own, you know what to look out for.

if you still want to make your own, it is quite a process. i cant be bothered to even try! apparently though once you know what your doing its easier!

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7446/michele-fosters-fondant
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/?s=marshmallow+fondant
mmf and mmf are two popular recipes on here.

also, as far as i know copha is the equivelent of crisco, so should be fine to use when needed.
xx

kermitncupcake Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 10:49am
post #3 of 10

Hi,
Thanks for that. I wont buy fondant, its too expensive here. The only supplier we have wants [email protected] for a box of wilton fondant, so when Im doing it for no profit, thats just too much Im afraid.
Im going to make up some on Sat or Sun, a jello MMF and a sugarpasteicon_smile.gif

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 11:18am
post #4 of 10

kermitncupcake, I just sent you a pm with some tips on making mmf. Hope it helps.

Michelle46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle46 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 11:53am
post #5 of 10
dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:18pm
post #6 of 10

Just a question Have you tried making fondant using Copha? Since it is a form of vegetable fat shortening made from hydrogenated coconut oil, might it not work? Are you able to buy marshmallows in Australia? The MMF recipe uses just a bit of shortening.

kermitncupcake Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:55pm
post #7 of 10

Yeah we can get marshmellows hereicon_smile.gif
I was told not to use the Copha in buttercream, so I thought it would be the same with the fondant...

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:17pm
post #8 of 10

What was the reason that you should not use Copha in buttercream?

kermitncupcake Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:21pm
post #9 of 10

I dont know... I wasnt given one, just told by someone on here it wouldnt work

kermitncupcake Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:26pm
post #10 of 10

This seems to be why: copha would make ti quite heavy, vegetable shortening and a combo of it, real butter or a butter flavoured margarine like "I can't believe it's not butter" work well, copha will solidify to the point where you will need a chisel to cut the cake and the icing will be to fatty and heavy tasting

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%