What Is The Best Fondant Recipe For Humid Climates?

Baking By Annso Updated 11 Jul 2010 , 12:45am by Annso

Annso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annso Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:12am
post #1 of 12

Greetings everyone. I really tried to see if I could find a thread that addressed this question but i could'nt. If anyone knows a link I would be greatful.

I live in the caribbean which is extremely humid and want to start doing fondant cakes to sell but I'm scared. I did try using MMF and had no real issue except that the fondant got a little sticky while working with it. What if I had to do a fondant cake for a venue with no air condition?(Like for a wedding) would I have to worry about the icing melting of the cake ?icon_redface.gif Are there any other recipes or modifications that i could try?

Thanks

11 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 12

I live in Cancún, so I know exactly what you're talking about. Thanks to a lot of good advice from people here on CC and my own experimentation, I've found out what to do about fondant in this climate. For one thing, you don't need to worry about fondant-covered cakes melting, because fondant has virtually no fat in it, which is the thing that melts in the heat. But it can be very sticky in this climate. I do two things to prevent this (but I have pictures of fondant sliding off the sides of my cakes before I did them!). The first one is to add about 1/2 teaspoon of CMC/tylose or gumtex to every pound of fondant and the other is to add a little more finely-sifted powdered sugar (go easy on this, though - a tablespoon or two to each pound would probably be enough). I hope this will help. Let me know how it goes, if you have a sec. Oh, yes, my favorite home-made recipe is Michele Foster's Fondant (MFF, not MMF!). And I like the original version more than than the updated one, but that's just me. But honestly, I'm spoiled - I always buy it ready made. I still prepare it the same way, though.

Annso Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 12:54am
post #3 of 12

Thanks Alot for the help Marinna46. i am soo sorry for the late response , i'm expecting and in the last few weeks my back has been killing me! so i was'nt on the pc often. I will definitely let you know how this works out for me. thanks again

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:01am
post #4 of 12

I don't live in Cancun or the Caribbean..but I do live where it is hot and humid as ____. icon_lol.gif I use Michele Foster's fondant and I've never had any issues with it being sticky. I also use the original recipe...I think... icon_lol.gif I love her fondant. It taste so good and it's a dream to work with. I've never used a more "user friendly" fondant.

sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:28am
post #5 of 12

Hi Annso. I'm from Barbados and to be quite honest I don't think that the heat and humidity in our region can rival some that I've heard quoted in the southern US. Your fondant should do fine. The cake in my pics with the candles on it was assembled at a garden wedding in the pouring rain and the fondant didn't melt. It just got tacky to the touch.

I found MMF to be a PITA and to be honest with the cost of marshmallows here...not very cost effective.

Here is the recipe that I use. Hope it works for you.

1 lb icing sugar
1.5 tsp gelatine
3 tbsp water
2 tsp glycerine
1.5 tbsp liquid glucose ( I substitute this with light corn syrup)

Sprinkle the gelatine over the water in a small pot and leave it until it blooms.
Dissolve gelatine over gentle heat.

Add glycerine and glucose and stir. Warm gently.

Make a well in the centre of about 1/2 of the icing sugar and pour in the wet ingredients.

Stir with a wooden spoon and add sugar until it gets too stiff to handle. Turn out onto a surface dusted with powdered sugar and knead in remaining sugar.

Let me know if you hit any snags.

As a matter of interest what type of icing do you normally use???

Annso Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:48am
post #6 of 12

thanks so much again guys. mamawrobin where can i find this Michele Foster fondant?

sweet_honesty it is soo refreshing to know that you are from the caribbean, and MMF is very pricey to make. i guess i'll give your recipe a try, it seems alot cheaper to make.

Annso Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:55am
post #7 of 12

sweet_honesty
I normally use a basic buttercrem with half shortening and half butter. BTW your cakes are beautiful!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 1:59am
post #8 of 12

[quote="Annso"]thanks so much again guys. mamawrobin where can i find this Michele Foster fondant?

Go to recipes and type Michele Foster's Fondant in the search box. It should pop right up for you. thumbs_up.gif

sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 2:11am
post #9 of 12

Thanks Annso. Best of luck with your fondant search.

I have been dying to try the MFF but the cream is a big deterrent. They recently raised taxes on imported dairy products and with all cream here being imported......

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:27pm
post #10 of 12

Michele Foster's original fondant recipe (it's on here, too) can be made using water as the liquid, sweet_honesty, so maybe that would help.

GIAcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIAcakes Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 3:47am
post #11 of 12

Thanks for posting this! I live in MN, where we do get pretty humid in the summer. The last 2 cakes I did I had an awful time with the MMF being sticky. It was almost impossible to work with. I did a cake in the spring with the same MMF and it was perfect! So I assume it is the humidity. Thanks for the tips.

Annso Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 12:45am
post #12 of 12

THanks alot for the help guys I'll definitely let you know how this turns out for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%