Smooth Chocolate Ganache

Decorating By Jenny0730 Updated 16 Jun 2010 , 10:38am by Rylan

Jenny0730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny0730 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 11:49pm
post #1 of 9

I have been asked to make a cake for my aunt for this weekend. I would like to try and make a chocolate cake and then pour chocolate ganache over it. I have seen a lot of cakes that look so smooth. Is there a trick to making it look really smooth when you pour the ganache over the cake?

8 replies
iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:03am
post #2 of 9

Hi Jenny
I'm new making and decorating, but I did do a cake with the chocolate ganache poured over it, and to smoothe it out, I kept dipping the cake spatula in boiling water to make the blade hot, then wiped any water off, and the heat from the spatula smoothed out the ganache. I did it this way, because I know some people do this to smoothe out buttercream also. I hope this helps.
Kathy

Jenny0730 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:24am
post #3 of 9

I was going to do the pourable type of ganache. I was planning on placing the cake on a cooling rack and pouring the ganache over the cake so that the excess will fall through to a bowl underneath.

iluvpeeks Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:41am
post #4 of 9

Hi Jenny
Thats what I was hoping to do too. I still had to smoothe it out a bit with the spatula. I don't know if it was because I had the air conditioner on, and it cooled the chocolate down, but on the most part it was pretty smoothe, but I just helped it alittle. Hope this helps. Like I said I'm really new to this. I'm sure you'll get some of the real pros to help you.
Kathy

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:41am
post #5 of 9
Rylan Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:43am
post #6 of 9

As you can see in the tutorial, she first used a layer of spreadable ganache. Smooth it out and pour the pourable ganache.

iluvpeeks Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:50am
post #7 of 9

Thanks Rylan
I'll check it out too. By the way, your cakes are magnificent!
Kathy

Jenny0730 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:54am
post #8 of 9

Thanks Rylan!

Rylan Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 10:38am
post #9 of 9

No problem Kathy and Jenny.

Kathy, thanks as well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%