If You've Used Cinnamon Buttercream

Decorating By Hollandy Updated 16 Jun 2010 , 12:46pm by leily

Hollandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollandy Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 8

I would like to use a cinnamon buttercream for my daughter's birthday cake but was wondering if you will be able to see cinnamon flecks in it. I wanted to dye the buttercream pastel colors (possibly blue, orange and/or yellow.

7 replies
frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 8

I would say you can definitely see the cinnamon in the icing...I don't know if you've eaten cinnamon ice cream, it looks just like that. Perhaps you'd be better off using a cinnamon oil rather than actual cinnamon of you don't want the cinnamon to be visible?

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 7:38pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdiabetes

I would say you can definitely see the cinnamon in the icing...I don't know if you've eaten cinnamon ice cream, it looks just like that. Perhaps you'd be better off using a cinnamon oil rather than actual cinnamon of you don't want the cinnamon to be visible?

She is right... use cinnamon oil--ground cinnamon will definitely show.

Hollandy Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 8

That makes sense (and this may be a silly question) but is cinammon oil truely cinnamon flavored or is is like cinnamon Jolly Ranchers or Red Hotsof hot. I don't want an artificial flavor. KWIM?

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:31pm
post #5 of 8

I had the same question recently and found that any cinnamon oil I tried had the "candy" cinnamon flavor. I wound up using really really finely ground cinnamon, but you could still see it. So, I gave up the fight and sprinkled more on the top. Mine was just for banana-nut cupcakes, though, so I didn't have the decorative issues. Was pretty yummy, though.........

Hollandy Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 6:16am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmisue2009

I had the same question recently and found that any cinnamon oil I tried had the "candy" cinnamon flavor. I wound up using really really finely ground cinnamon, but you could still see it. So, I gave up the fight and sprinkled more on the top. Mine was just for banana-nut cupcakes, though, so I didn't have the decorative issues. Was pretty yummy, though.........

Thanks. I think I'll skip the cinnamon buttercream for this cake then and use a cinnamon cream cheese filling instead.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:25pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmisue2009

Thanks. I think I'll skip the cinnamon buttercream for this cake then and use a cinnamon cream cheese filling instead.

That sounds like a good idea! You get to have the cinnamon and the pretty exterior!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 12:46pm
post #8 of 8

Just so you can see, this cake here was iced with the cinnamon buttercream recipe that is in the recipe section here. Can definitely see the cinnamon.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=25131

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%