Hi-Ratio Shortening (Alpine) Vs Regular Shortening (Crisco)

Decorating By splendirifficcakes Updated 22 Sep 2010 , 3:18pm by MariaLovesCakes

splendirifficcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splendirifficcakes Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 17

Is there really a big difference in buttercream if you use a hi-ratio (hr) shortening oppose to crisco (or generic shortening)? I hear that you can add more liquids to HR and that it leaves a smoother texture? Also better tasting? I want to hear from others that have used hi-ratio-- I am looking for the ultimate buttercream!

16 replies
Manotas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manotas Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 17

I recentrly started using Hi-Ratio; the difference is phenomenal;the buttercream is creamier, smoother and it doesn't taste greasy at all. I am convertedicon_smile.gif Too bad I can't find it in my city; but I know when I have to go to Edmonton I'll stock up.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 17

Massive, tremendous, HUUUUUUUGE difference. Big isn't the word. Better mouthfeel, smoother texture, and all around a bazillion times easier to work with.

I'm never, ever using Crisco again.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 17

Manotas....You can buy High ration shortening by the case from Bakemark.I used to buy it there but it is not cheap.I think I paid $135.00 for a 40lb box and I really didn't like it.It didn't take the color well and was still greasy on the tongue.It wasn't Alpine or Sweetex though as you can't get that here unless you buy it online.It was there own brand of high ratio.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 17

The taste is worth every penny!..I don't wanna use crisco ever again. Smooth an less gritty!
Edna icon_smile.gif

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 5:12pm
post #6 of 17

I buy my hi ratio at a cake store - they make it themselves. It's so much better than crisco - much creamier and it just tastes better. I'd never heard of that until I took some classes. Now I won't use anything but hi ratio. I just need to find something to do with that tub of crisco I still have.

Manotas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manotas Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 5:58pm
post #7 of 17

I use the tub of Crisco to grease the surfaces I work with and my hands icon_wink.gif

splendirifficcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splendirifficcakes Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 6:07pm
post #8 of 17

Ok I am sold!! Thanks everyone!! thumbs_up.gif @ cheriej -I think I may have to return the crisco I just bought!!

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 11:41am
post #9 of 17

I will NEVER use regular shortening in frosting. To me, it just tastes like sweetened Crisco, and not remotely edible. I use the hi ratio, and beat it for 15 minutes before adding ANY ingredients. It is as smooth as baby's behind, AND it has no greasy taste at all.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 12:05pm
post #10 of 17

Sounds interesting.. I need to check it out. Where can you get it other than Kissimmee?

hbarberycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbarberycakes Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 12:30pm
post #11 of 17

the difference is the trans fat. crisco no longer has transfat in it like the high-ratio which is why there's such a difference. I use the store brand shortening since it has a few grams in it and I have a hard time telling the difference in high ratio and my store brand. Well, other than in my wallet. I spend $3 on shortening as opposed to $8. Hope it helps icon_smile.gif

MariaLovesCakes Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 12:42pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbarberycakes

the difference is the trans fat. crisco no longer has transfat in it like the high-ratio which is why there's such a difference. I use the store brand shortening since it has a few grams in it and I have a hard time telling the difference in high ratio and my store brand. Well, other than in my wallet. I spend $3 on shortening as opposed to $8. Hope it helps icon_smile.gif

Interesting as well. One time I used a store brand (Walmart) and didn't like how my buttercream turned out. It was too soft.

hbarberycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbarberycakes Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 2:35pm
post #13 of 17

I tried walmarts as well and didnt like it. I should have specified. I use Kroger's name brand, I don't know if they have Kroger's everywhere or not. I know they didn't in Louisiana, so all I can suggest is look at the trans fat and it should help some. It does for me at least!

walterak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
walterak Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 2:45pm
post #14 of 17

I just bought 2 tubs online and made Edna's buttercream for the first time yesterday...I WILL NOT GO BACK!!! There is such a difference. I ate a cupcake and didn't have a greasy feeling in my mouth!! Hubby liked it too! (I was practicing cupcakes).

MariaLovesCakes Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 2:46pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterak

I just bought 2 tubs online and made Edna's buttercream for the first time yesterday...I WILL NOT GO BACK!!! There is such a difference. I ate a cupcake and didn't have a greasy feeling in my mouth!! Hubby liked it too! (I was practicing cupcakes).

Does Edna have her recipe on her website? I need to check it out. icon_smile.gif

walterak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
walterak Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 3:11pm
post #16 of 17

Yes, its on the recipes tab and I think its the first recipe. Crusting Buttercream! YUMMY!

MariaLovesCakes Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 3:18pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterak

Yes, its on the recipes tab and I think its the first recipe. Crusting Buttercream! YUMMY!

Thank you. Is very similar to the one I make. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%