Has Anyone Watched The New Series Cupcake Wars?

Lounge By HobbyCaker Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 3:31am by tesso

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 25

I am probably behind the times as I just watched the one where they had to make cupcakes for a Golf event. Interesting concept, not sure on the salmon flavored ones though. The next one is suppose to be on tonight, (tues) will have to tune in and see what the theme is tonight.

24 replies
HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 25

I love that show, and was happy it was coming back for another season. I really can't believe the girl who won actually won, because those salmon cupcakes seemed weird and the display was kinda cheesy. But whatever, it was still fun to watch icon_smile.gif

ToniMarieLovesCuppies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ToniMarieLovesCuppies Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 25

YES I ALREADY WATCHED THE PREVIEW!!!!

Can't wait to see it tonight! icon_smile.gif

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 25

I may give it one more try but doubt it will be in my tvo lineup. Since there was not any technique for me to watch, I ended up hoaning in on the characters...which all annoyed me! LOL. The vegan chick's messy pig tails drove me crazy, the bi-polar salmon chick was pshycho and the man was just an a**. The chicks from california were ok.

HobbyCaker Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 25

ddaigle- first of all thank you for your service to our great country. I am a proud mother of 2 military sons, Air Force/Army.

It was entertaining, saw some cake/frosting combos that I found interesting (Salmon) I will watch again, do wish they had more time and could show some more technique and details, they all basically did the 1M swirl and that was it. I guess I missed last season, too busy watching Cake Boss, Ace of Cakes, Amazing Wedding Cakes (my fav).

I did like the one display on the golf tee's and plexi tiers.

Looking forward to tonights show just to see what their challenge will be this time.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 25

This is the 1st episode that I've watched. I guess it's a taste competition & not focused on the look. The french judge was commenting a lot that the cc were too sweet. Aren't they supposed to be? I was also surprised @ how the cc stands looked @ the end. I was getting too focused on the contestants as well. I couldn't get over all that long hair flying all over the place.
I'll probably watch it again b/c there's nothing but re-runs in the summer. It is nice to get different flavor combo ideas.

LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 4:51pm
post #7 of 25

I wouldnt have only eaten cupcakes from the Cali girls. I cant stand when people are in a kitchen with their hair all over the place. Pigtail girl kept playing with hers too. The guy was arragagant so I wouldnt of gone to his place period. The winner also had her hair flapping in the wind and that just makes me not want to go anywhere near her cupcakes. Im not sure I will be a follower of the show but Ill stop and watch it if its on while Im flipping channels.

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:35pm
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie86

I cant stand when people are in a kitchen with their hair all over the place. Pigtail girl kept playing with hers too. The guy was arragagant so I wouldnt of gone to his place period. The winner also had her hair flapping in the wind and that just makes me not want to go anywhere near her cupcakes.

THIS! Ugh, gross. I kept thinking about that the whole time too.. and that guy was so mean. I mean, it's one thing to be confident in your product, everyone should be. But he was just nasty. I've already made a note to never visit his bakery just because of his attitude.

LisaMarie86 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:39pm
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyDee

THIS! Ugh, gross. I kept thinking about that the whole time too.. and that guy was so mean. I mean, it's one thing to be confident in your product, everyone should be. But he was just nasty. I've already made a note to never visit his bakery just because of his attitude.

I know if Im ever in his area I will run the other way rather than buy his product. When I make food for other people I either have my hair in a hat or its back in a ponytail with a fabric headband too keeping any hair that didnt want to go in the ponytail out of my food. Ughhh it was gross. My mom was even more disguested than I was.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:40pm
post #10 of 25

There are two more threads titled "Cupcake Wars" that I'm aware of... one is in the Lounge, and I don't recall the other right now.

I too noticed all the touching of HAIR, face, eyes, forehead, and more hair!!!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:38pm
post #11 of 25

I watched both shows - Sunday night and Tuesday night. I'm not enamored. They create some unrealistic deadlines IMO. 45 minutes? It takes 20-22 minutes to cook the darn things and what about letting them cool and the prep time? It just creates false drama because - face it - otherwise a show about cupcakes would be rather boring.

About the hair thing. If you watched very closely on the first show it showed the blonde lady at her shop with something completely covering her hair, the one from Florida, the winner actually. She is using a full covering for her hair, much like you see in professional bakeries. I think for TV and looks, they are told to skip that. And we only get to see what looks good for TV.

LisaMarie86 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:03pm
post #12 of 25

Well what looks good on TV to me is people not playing with their hair while they are cooking. Pet peeve of mine. I probably would never be in the area to go to any of the shops anyways but its a big turn off too just gross.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:26pm
post #13 of 25
Quote:

Well what looks good on TV to me is people not playing with their hair while they are cooking. Pet peeve of mine. I probably would never be in the area to go to any of the shops anyways but its a big turn off too just gross.

I agree totally. I have taken to putting my hair back and wear a baseball hat just to cook in my own house. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm just saying that those producers don't give a rat's a$$ about hygiene or industry standards when it comes to good TV. Did you see the hair on the winner last night? I made the same comment to my hubby when I saw her last night. I couldn't believe she was going to cook with her hair down like that.

It makes me wonder if they make new cupcakes for the event, just like the do for the other cake shows? That would explain the lower standards to make things look good for TV.

HobbyCaker Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:26pm
post #14 of 25

Watched again last night, not as much hair playing with as in the first one. Still have problems with the LONG loose hair, I saw (the girl who won) hair touching the counters, cupcakes etc. several times. Same as the other show, eating in the prep areas, bringing in live animials for inspiration and placing them on the counters EEWWW! is what I say. DRAMA, that is all this show is for, the french judge IMO is a jerk, I realize you have to be able to take criticism, but he goes overboard. Think last night is the last time I will watch, not really learning anything, just entertainment. Thanks for all the replies, it is nice to hear others opinions! thumbs_up.gif

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:27pm
post #15 of 25

It's kinda fun and I love to watch folks scramble from the comfort of my happy chair. It's not gonna be very helpful on a practical (read: copycat) level, though, I don't think. Not sure about your clientele, but I don't anticipate needing the knowledge to be able to "infuse" squid-ink into anything anytime soon..........

LisaMarie86 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 6:14pm
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144

Quote:

I agree totally. I have taken to putting my hair back and wear a baseball hat just to cook in my own house. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm just saying that those producers don't give a rat's a$$ about hygiene or industry standards when it comes to good TV. Did you see the hair on the winner last night? I made the same comment to my hubby when I saw her last night. I couldn't believe she was going to cook with her hair down like that.

It makes me wonder if they make new cupcakes for the event, just like the do for the other cake shows? That would explain the lower standards to make things look good for TV.

I am sure the producers dont get a crap about what people see but if I was the baker I would insist on putting something over my hair. I just cant bake with my hair going everywhere. I hope I didnt come across as mean to you I certainlly didnt mean to. I hope that they did bake new cupcakes. But what a waste of those ones you know? Im sure they had to bake new ones and comply to the health code wherever they are baking them at.

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 6:30pm
post #17 of 25

I was watching the Sea World one last night. I thought it was stupid. I turned it off 10 minutes before the end - I don't care who wins. Everyone was annoying - especially the guy who baked a cupcake in an ice cream cone and acted like he invented something unique. And the final thing when they asked them to bake 1000 cupcakes and display them etc. - I mean did anyone get anything out of that??? I'd rather watch Challenge on cakes just to see professionals create something. I bake a lot of cupcakes and I was hoping this would be better. Guess I'll go back to reading books.

ArtieTs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtieTs Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:47pm
post #18 of 25

I was not impressed at all. I may watch again though. I can tell you know I don't care for that french pasrty chef judge. He's a little on the rude side but maybe it's just me that thought so.

luvtocreate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvtocreate Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 7:48pm
post #19 of 25

Last night was the first time I ever watched the show. The only thing that caught my attention were the flavor combos. The churro one sounded tasty to me.

The guy annoyed the heck out of me. Didn't like how he spoke to his assisstants.

Not a show I will get upset about missing. Would be better in my opinion if they had a similar format to the cake challenges where they have to create a unique and well done piece in order to win.

sweetie112 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetie112 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:02pm
post #20 of 25

I watched last night. The girl who won, I could not believe her hair was all over the place. No one mentioned it but the guy did a taste test of a topping for his cupcake he bit a piece and put the rest back on the table. icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif

lreyna25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lreyna25 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 8:03pm
post #21 of 25

I can NOT get over the hair thing... thumbsdown.gif

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 11:48pm
post #22 of 25

I watched it last night and it seemed very tough.

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 11:49pm
post #23 of 25

I watched it last night and it seemed very tough. You have to really know your ingredients because they can make you put anything in the cup cakes.

Rebealuvsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebealuvsweets Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:19am
post #24 of 25

I guess I am crazy because, I enjoy anything on baking, decorating and anything to do with sweets. They probably have that male judge act kind of like Simon from AI...They want to give the show some drama...anyways that is just my opinion...oh, also I dislike when I see some of the shows that make people out of gumpaste ( or whatever they use) they touch everything with their hands that does not really seem to sanitary to me..

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 3:31am
post #25 of 25

I actually watched it last night.. me.. the cupcake hater.. and I laughed my arse off.. it probably also helped that I muted it and turned on subtitles!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif dont get me started on the hair.. but mainly.. when I saw the display with the captains wheel and the FISH NETTING !! HAHAHAHAH... oh man.. i got a cramp from laughing.. I mean come on.. you are talking whales..and their birthday..and seaworld and conservation.. so lets put the number one thing on the whale birthday cupcakes that is responsible for killing thousands of mammals and fish everyday. dunce.gificon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%